Best thermal paste for laptop

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by BraskSpain, Oct 5, 2019.

?

Best thermal paste for laptops

1. Noctua NT-H2

11.1%
  2. Arctic MX-4

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Cooler master mastergel maker

11.1%
  4. IC Diamond

77.8%
  1. BraskSpain

BraskSpain Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I think because I see 100 degrees sometimes when gaming BFV so I am really thinking about Kryonaut for GPU and Conductonaut for CPU, how would that work?

2. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    You can mix just fine just be aware of the fitting tolerances when using liquid metal.

3. anytimer

anytimer Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    That 100C is by design. You will hit it no matter what you do, unless you turn off turbo boost completely. The CPU clock in turbo mode is too high to run continuously - even the package cannot get rid of that much heat, let alone a laptop cooling system. So the CPU can only operate in turbo mode for short bursts, and every time it does that, the CPU temperature will rise because the heat generated is more than the heat that can be dissipated. You could limit the maximum clock during turbo mode if you like, and then it won't get as hot, as the maximum heat produced will be less, and hopefully within the capabilities of the cooling system.

4. Chastity

Chastity Company Representative

Reputations:
    My lappy maxes out at 81C on a full load of my 7700HQ.

5. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    Quad cores are a lot easier to cool.

6. anytimer

anytimer Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    You're using the Control Station recommended settings in CPU tuning, right? Turbo Boost limited to 12 seconds. Turbo boost power 27.5 W.

7. Chastity

Chastity Company Representative

Reputations:
    Using system defaults. Turbo Boost Power 45W, TB Time 28 Sec -100mW Undervolt (Core/Cache)

System was like this when I first got it, then by 3 months temps crept up to the 90's. So I repasted with my trusted ICD7, and temps went down about 5C compared to stocks when new. Now the lappy is almost 2 yrs old and temps are the same as when I repasted. (Also, when new, I was able to do a -125mV undervolt, but it's no longer stable at that.)

Last edited: Oct 12, 2019
  8. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    All CPU voltage floors do raise a little as time goes on.

9. DaMafiaGamer

DaMafiaGamer Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I would have said IC Diamond but that paste has a tendency of scratching the die surface (it's satisfying to know that you have a clean scratch free die :D) so I stick with Arctic Silver MX-4, there is only a marginal temperature difference between the two. Also remember that arctic silver is EASIER to apply and EASIER to wipe off than ic diamond, plus it spreads nicer due to the compound being more liquid than solid lol.

If your looking for the best 'paste' metal paste is the way to go. Even manufacturers like HP understand that it is the future, foam dam eliminates accidental spills due to sudden force etc...
    I personally never have used one on any of my laptops, sitcky tape does the job of covering the capacitors near the die, not one dead cpu or gpu yet :)

10. yrekabakery

yrekabakery Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Arctic Cooling MX-4 and Arctic Silver 5 are two difference brands of paste, and MX-4 is absolute garbage for laptops, pumping out after weeks if not days of heavy benching.

Papusan and DaMafiaGamer like this.