Best spyware program

Discussion in 'Security and Anti-Virus Software' started by titaniummd, Apr 12, 2006.

?

What is the best spyware program?

1. Spybot, Search and Destroy

61 vote(s)
    29.3%
  2. AdAware

77 vote(s)
    37.0%
  3. Microsoft Spyware Beta

20 vote(s)
    9.6%
  4. Spyware Doctor

16 vote(s)
    7.7%
  5. Other

34 vote(s)
    16.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. csinth

csinth Snitch?

Reputations:
    Certain programs have real-time protection, some don't. Ad-aware SE Personal doesn't. Windows Defender does. Usually the one's that cost money have real time protection.

2. qsimpson

qsimpson Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Spybot is supposed to be good and Lavasoft Ad:aware. From what I hear its good to have atleast 2 different spyware programs because alot of times 1 will pick up a spyware problem that the other didn't

3. mjpartyboy

mjpartyboy Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I use Ad-Aware SE and Spybot (free editions) on my notebook and have used them on our desktop for a few years all with success. I also use SpywareBlaster and a Hosts File.

I've recently installed Spware Terminator on our desktop and another notebook and I like it, it's quite a comprehensive piece of freeware.

4. Luar

Luar Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I've been using Spybot for quite some time. Actually I used it on several machines, including my own, when it became obvious that it was infected. It has worked for me.

Lately I have been reading a lot of reviews on several websites that SpyBot is actually very mediocre. This has me concern and now I am thinking of using it in conjunction with Adware or just purchasing a good one like Spy Doctor.

5. csinth

csinth Snitch?

Reputations:
    Spy Sweeper is the best, though its 30 bucks. Ad-aware is decent, but Spybot always catches more than Ad-aware, even if I run it after ad-aware. All ad-aware ever gets for me is tracking cookies, and even then spy-bot picks up one or two extra tracking cookies.

6. Charles P. Jefferies

Charles P. Jefferies Lead Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    I prefer to use anti-spyware programs. ;) I don't believe that you can keep your system safe with a single program. For me, I use Ad-Aware SE Personal - free, does a great job of sweeping my system (I do not pick up much to begin with).

Ad-Aware won't do everything though, and only removes spyware. To prevent it, I have found that having a modified .HOSTS file is extremely useful, see here:

It's updated every couple of days, I only change it once or twice a month. Basically, you don't see any ads, and it won't let you go to nasty, spyware-ridden sites; so if your peer sends you a dirty link and you click it without thinking, the modified .HOSTS will prevent you from going there. It also blocks certain stuff from accessing the Internet. Here's from the site:
    Enjoy,
    http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

7. Reezin14

Reezin14 Crimson Mantle Commander

Reputations:
    I use Spyware Terminator and Avast and haven't had any problems.

8. LFC

LFC Ex-NBR

Reputations:
    After reading around I now use

Spywareblaster
    Spybot
    Ad-Aware
    Modified Hosts file (thanks Chaz)
    Harden-It* (using recommended settings)

(in conjunction with firefox with ad-block and no-script extensions)

*No jokes :p

Used the laptop 2 weeks now on uni isp and nothing. Nada.

9. mjpartyboy

mjpartyboy Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I had to stop using that MVPS Hosts File because it started to block genuinely safe tracking links for some reward sites I use and I couldn't work out how to add exceptions.

10. Gator

Gator Go Gators!

Reputations:
    How do you people get spyware/adware anyway? I've had this laptop for four months now and I've never gotten even one. Do you guys actually click the popups you get from websites? Or those Yes/No confirmation boxes?

The free scanners work OK, Spybot is good and AdAware is mediocre. For serious protection you need a pay program though. Yes, people who get paid to make and maintain a product tend to do better and on a more timely basis than people who don't.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.