Best secondhand laptop for design work?

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by Haukyn, Nov 19, 2019.

1. Haukyn

Haukyn Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I have a Samsung NP700Z5C I bought secondhand back in 2014, on the understanding it was a good bet to have something from a couple of years before for the best price/usability ratio.

It's been great through my Architecture MA and for working while travelling, but the screen is on the way out and repair parts for the hinges and case are getting more expensive and harder to find.

I'm considering my options and wondered if there were anything similar that I can get secondhand now that the gurus here rate?

I would like:

DVD drive (preferably Blu-Ray these days if that exists)
    15"+ screen - the Samsung's always had issues with the colour rendition and viewing angle, but I've got by. Something better here would be appreciated.
    Number pad
    Discrete graphics would be good
    - I still play some games on the Samsung, such as Rising Storm 2 (the kids don't believe me when I tell them I'm playing on a 2012 laptop, which does add to the fun). However, maybe in the last 7 years integrated graphics have got better...
    No 'gamer' nonsense. Flashing lights, jagged edges, big logos and other kool things are out.
    Portable. I'd rather something less powerful and lighter than a desktop replacement gaming monster.
    Price? I'd like to gauge what things in this kind of bracket cost these days as I'm going to be buying it secondhand.

Any ideas?

2. FireLantern

FireLantern Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Your best bet would be some Acer laptops from 2017 with GTX 1050 imo.