Best screen type for a gaming laptop Glossy Vs. Matte

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Obvioushail, Oct 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Obvioushail

Obvioushail Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I'm trying to decide on what display i want for my new gaming laptop before I order it and I basically cant decide between Glossy or Matte.

I have heard that glossy gives better colors whenever your gaming, but you have that annoying glare. While Matte doesn't have a glare at all, but I have heard that the colors appear washed out or grainy at times. I'm probably going to be using the laptop for long periods of time, mostly indoors if that helps at all.

I just wanted you guys opinion thanks a lot!

2. gwfreak01

gwfreak01 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    If it's indoors, I'd say go for the glossy. The glare doesn't bother me as I'm usually focused on whatever I'm doing.

3. Obvioushail

Reputations:
    Thanks for answering, Also do you notice it whenever you are playing games or anything? I watched a few side by side comparison videos and it seems like whenever you are playing a game its little to not noticeable at all.

4. Tsunade_Hime

Tsunade_Hime such bacon. wow Super Moderator

Reputations:
    I would say it depends on your use and if you are in a brightly lit room.

My Alienware has a glossy screen, but it sits indoors all day so it doesn't bother me.

5. Obvioushail

Reputations:
    So would you say glossy is better for a gamer? I haven't had much experience with laptop screens because this is the first laptop I am purchasing. I'm just not sure if the glare will bother me or not.

6. gwfreak01

gwfreak01 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I have a matte external monitor and a glossy laptop monitor. I've played on both. The graphics on both are very crystal clear (assuming you have a high quality external monitor). But yeah, they dont bother me at all.

7. HTWingNut

HTWingNut Potato

Reputations:
    Neither is better for gaming, it's purely personal preference. My preference is matte no matter what.

8. Obvioushail

Reputations:
    In all the forums i've been on they always said that Glossy had a higher gamut so it made colors "pop" more in a way which is why I was assuming they were better for gaming.

9. Tsunade_Hime

Tsunade_Hime such bacon. wow Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Glossy screens makes it look more "vibrant" especially with high color gamut screens (like my R2's 1200p RGBLED screen).

10. baii

baii Sone

Reputations:
    Personal preference, I wear cheap glass w.o all the fancy antiglare coating w.e and glossy screen kill my eyes. Glossy screen does look awesome in dark room though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.