Best portable laptop (weight/size/bat) with dGPU $950 or lower - general use + light gaming

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by OlegRU, Feb 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OlegRU

OlegRU Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Has to be purchasable on Amazon for budget of $950 Max (prefer a little lower cost).

Screen: 13"+

Display: Preferably IPS or good alternative

Games: Dragon Age II, Mass Effect 2, Fallout 3, Witcher series (older ones) - on good settings.

Key Reqs: Really looking for something that will be well-built, not clunky, light(er) weight (under 5lbs or lighter), and have good bat life, while also having a dedicated GPU so I can play some games. Looking for a balance of these reqs. SSD or Hybrid a plus.

To give an example: my ideal laptop would be the ASUS K501UW-AB78 if it didn't have such horrible reviews for its display.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2017
  2. don_svetlio

don_svetlio In the Pipe, Five by Five.

Reputations:
  3. SkidrowSKT

SkidrowSKT Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    For this price, you are not getting anywhere in terms of gaming + satisfactory quality/battery specs. I suggest you have a look at the HP Pavilion 15t (i5-7300HQ, GTX 1050) with an IPS level panel and a 256GB NVME SSD (Or 1TB HDD + 128GB SATAIII). It won't cost more than 900$, and for that cash, you're getting petty much the bang for your buck. Other laptops in the same price range either offer worse GPUs or crappy TN Panels.

Sent from my SM-N900 using Tapatalk

4. OlegRU

OlegRU Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    By "Witcher series" I meant the older ones... sorry didn't make that clear :)

I think a 950/960M would be fine for my gaming. Everything else I'd like to be towards the battery/weight/display etc.

5. OlegRU

OlegRU Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Everyone on other Reddit seems to be recommending the HP Pavilion as well... interesting.... do you concur that it is probably the best possible candidate for my reqs by far (compared to other machines in the range)?

The one you mentioned - is it on Amazon? If so, please link.

6. don_svetlio

Reputations:
    Witcher 2 is extremely demanding as well - my old 860M laptop could only do 1080p 30fps (860M and 960M are the exact same GPU) and a 950M is 20% slower. Trust me - it's not good anymore.

7. SkidrowSKT

SkidrowSKT Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    You might find it in Amazon, but the HP website often offers rebates, and you can steal one for even around 700$!

If I am to rate the HP in terms of everything compared to its price range competitors, I'd say the following:

-Performance/$: 10/10, the best you can yet find for Pascal laptops.
    -Screen: 8/10, very great and color accurate IPS panel. Most competitors offer TN panels or push more than 1000$ for an IPS.
    -Build quality: 6.5/10, I've only given a low rating based on how it feels in the hands of Youtube reviewers. They say the build feels like metal-ish but it's plastic. Screen and keyboard flex are minimal.
    - Keyboard and trackpad: 7/10. Typical for a laptop, not Macbook quality, you just get used to them.
    - Cooling and noises: 5/10. This is where you might get annoyed. HP laptops tend to get very hot and noisy under load. I'm here specifically talking through experience, watching the HP Omen dealing with heat and noise, terribly. I'm not saying it'd be the same case for the Pavilion, but I heard the internals in the Omen are based off of the Pavilion.
    -Storage: 9/10. Either are great. If you'd like ultra fast (but low) storage, go for the NVME SSD, if you favor the storage, 1TB 7200RPM HDD still stands for being the cheapest unit for performance and reliability.

I hope this sorta helps!

Sent from my SM-N900 using Tapatalk

8. Starlight5

Starlight5 W I N T E R B O R N

Reputations:
    @OlegRU consider Thinkpad Yoga 460 with 940M. You may need to turn some settings down compared to 960M-powered laptops, but there ain't many machines that will compete in terms of general use, and both battery life and build quality are great - it's a business-class machine, after all. Keyboard will put anything consumer to shame, if that matters. You will be able to get one with 8GB RAM and 256GB SSD within your budget; both are easy to upgrade just in case.

9. OlegRU

OlegRU Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    @Starlight5 @don_svetlio @SkidrowSKT

- There aren't any laptops with Non-IPS displays that are still good screens and have all the other specs in alignment with my reqs?

- Is an non-IPS really that bad?

- What about a laptop with a dGPU of say 940-960M and a non-IPS display - I believe that would still allow me to play most 2011 games at decent settings and older. There aren't more portable and well-built options with those specs?

**I think many misunderstand when I write that I want to be able to play certain games, so they focus on the gaming. I would definitely like to be able to play games like Mass Effect 2 on decent settings at a good FPS, but I'm not by any measure a gamer at all. I think when I say that 2nd part, people misunderstand and start recommending machines with integrated GPUs, even though I want something dedicated - but not a fancy card.

I would, at this point, like to have a business/general use laptop that is smaller and lighter weight and just made well, but has a dGPU so it can run some games.

10. don_svetlio

Reputations:
    Most TN displays are awful - in this day and age, IPS has become the minimum if you want a good experience.

As for the GPU - 940M - 960M cards are now 3-year-old chips - they've outlived their heyday and buying them is just not good value nor is it likely to last long. A 1050 is a LOT better in terms of value.

Starlight5 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.