Best performance for Photoshop laptop

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by thejager, Jan 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thejager

thejager Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I'm looking for the best laptop that will perform advanced Photoshop and Lightroom tasks as quickly as possible.

I have a high budget, i just want to get as many recommendations as possible before i move forward.
    Even if you do not have a model in mind, what parts of the laptop are most important for Photoshop and Lightroom.

At the moment I am thinking:
    - at least 4 cores 3ghz+ (4790k?)
    - SSD OS in RAID
    - SSD for storage in RAID
    - 32GB RAM
    - K5100m with 8gb video RAM
    - as nice a screen as i can get

(I had an earlier listing and made some changes to my ideas)

What is your budget?
    $7000

What country will you be buying this in?
    USA

What size notebook do you prefer?
    Desktop Replacement (17-inch + screen)

What brands do you like or dislike?
    Dislike: had bad luck with Dell and HP...but will listen to anything

Would you consider a refurbished laptop?
    Maybe

What are the primary tasks you need this notebook for?
    Photo Editing

Where will you be using this laptop?
    Will be used different places and Will stay on desk

How many hours of battery life do you need?
    at least 1.5

Will you be buying online or in store?

Which OS do you prefer?
    Windows 8 or Windows 7 or Mac OS

List the screen resolutions that interest you:
    Max Resolution (1920 x 1080)

Do you prefer a glossy or matte screen?
    Matte is fine

Is the laptops design important to you?
    Yes

Approximately what date will you be buying this laptop?
    Around 01/29/2015

How long do you want this laptop to last?
    as long as possible years

How much storage capacity do you need?
    1 TB+

Are you interested in SSD for storage?
    Yes

Do you want a built-in optical drive, what type?
    No

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2015
  2. TomJGX

TomJGX I HATE BGA!

Reputations:
    The Clevo P771ZM is your best bet.. You'll get your 4790K, K5100M, up to 32GB RAM, 2 2.5" HDD slots, 2 M2 slots.. Screens are the real problem.. It uses LVDS screens and there are high gamut screens available but the laptop isn't configured by Sager with them.. A reseller like Eurocom or Hidevolution might help with that... Your best bet would be to use an external screen for your work lol..

3. moviemarketing

moviemarketing Milk Drinker

Reputations:
    IMO the K5100M is a waste of money for Photoshop. The CPU, RAM and SSD will have a lot more impact on performance.

4. Charles P. Jefferies

Charles P. Jefferies Lead Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Agreed that the graphics card is a waste, even a basic Intel graphics card is fine. The money should be spent on the other components especially the CPU.

A good config currently would be a Core i7-4810MQ, 16 or 32GB of RAM and your choice of SSD's. RAID 0 is not necessary nor would it likely be beneficial.

The HP ZBook 17 is the only notebook sold with a professional display (the DreamColor model) but it's prohibitively expensive even if you have a lot to spend ...I'd say look for a 15.6" notebook with an IPS display and call it a day. The ZBook 15 is available with a very good one. It also has options for an ultra high-res 3200x1800 model though you'll have to use Windows scaling to make that resolution usable - make sure all your programs are compatible.

5. win32asmguy

win32asmguy Moderator Moderator

Reputations:
    I think the OP wanted a Quadro so he could get 10-bit output support on external displays.

Eurocom offers the P770ZM with a Glossy AUO B173HW01 V.4 LCD which is as good as it gets unless you go with a Zbook + Dreamcolor. The only thing you need to worry about is to have a backup machine or plan in case you have to ship it in for warranty service. Its usually a couple of weeks turn around time.

6. TomJGX

TomJGX I HATE BGA!

Reputations:
    This would be the best option.. Display/warranty wise, Mythologic offers the 72% gamut display but it's US based so warranty turnover will be faster... Prices seem to be a bit more inflated then Sager but should be cheaper then Eurocom..

https://www.mythlogic.com/configure.php?id=170

7. thejager

Reputations:
    thanks for all that info... indeed i was looking for the 10bit output source

Mythologic is like 30 minutes from my job, but their prices seem higher...maybe i should call them

8. thejager

Reputations:
    Can someone explain how the k5100m is overkill (barring the need for the 10bit output)...

also can someone explain how RAID 0 or any RAID wouldnt be helpful?

thanks so much!

9. win32asmguy

win32asmguy Moderator Moderator

Reputations:
    People don't like the Quadro because of three reasons:
    1. Price
    2. Kepler based (unless you can get a K2200M, which is the first maxwell mobile Quadro)
    3. Nvidia purposefully disabling Geforce functionality to make people purchase the Quadro (10-bit support, CUDA performance)
    Bearing these things in mind, if you can live with the lesser performance of the K3100M it is a much better bang for your buck. It might even give you more CPU performance in the long run as its much less TDP than the K5100M, and the heatsink shares the load of the CPU and GPU to some degree.

If you live 30 minutes from Mythlogic then you might as well go with them. They could probably install a 90% gamut panel (the same that Eurocom offers) if you can find one online.

10. moviemarketing

moviemarketing Milk Drinker

Reputations:
    If you don't need the 10-bit output, K5100M is overkill because it's extremely expensive, but won't result in faster performance in Photoshop. You will see much more impact on performance from 16GB RAM, quad core CPU, SSD etc. Even for some of the applications that do benefit from workstation graphics, performance is better for certain tasks with the less expensive 900 series GeForce cards.

Raid0 configuration with two SSDs will result in about double the sequential read/write speeds. For my particular usage needs, this is very helpful, as it reduces the time for various tasks when working with very large files in Photoshop and video editing, motion graphics applications, so I can finish my projects more quickly.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.