Best Notebook Coolers for 18" Alienware Laptops

Discussion in 'Alienware 18 and M18x' started by Mr. Fox, Jul 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. panamaniacs2011

panamaniacs2011 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    ok man , i think i have a few spare 12v fans !!

Mr. Fox and Papusan like this.
  2. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
  3. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    I have to purchase a fan control for my mod U3. What model is ok? My adapter is 15v. Not much to choose from here at home. Everything over 35$(included shipping) I have to pay 25% tax. + extra money for handling the tax when I order this in other countries.

4. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    I have not tested the one I ordered today (linked above). It should work out fine, but until I have it and try it out, I do not know for certain.

The one I used for the two previous mods was this model, which works fine: http://www.amazon.com/Silenx-IXAFCEX-Channel-External-Controlle/dp/B0030EZLSO

I purchased them from NewEgg before, but they no longer have these: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811999167

5. Papusan

Reputations:
    Then I'll see if l can get 2. Unfortunately, I must pay 25% tax on top of everything (including shipping and customs fees).

Edit: With more pict of my U3 and changed to 3X 120mm EK-Furious Vardar FF5-120 (3000rpm) fans.

Here is my new U3 mod.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Homemade fan filters from my wife's used nylon stockings:) Work nice and will reduce the cleaning innside the laptop to minimum.
    [​IMG]

Cut holes in the cooler will give better air flow. Look at the newspaper pages. They flash rapidly. LOL
    [​IMG]

Max temp at 58 degrees Celsius in wprime 1024 with stock i7-6700K (tested with ambient temperature of 17.5 degrees Celsius).
    My U3 mod and maximum fan speed (Fn+1), means lower temperatures than Ambient... Strange this is possible. One of the two sensor must be inaccurate, HaHa
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 18, 2017
  6. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    I think it is possible due to the radiators in the cooling system. Same as the air coming from a fan can be cooler than ambient temperatures because it is compressed and then expands.

7. Papusan

Reputations:
    Yes there may be something in this. But I like it :D What is normal maximum processor temp in Wprime 1024 by about 20 degrees celsius with stock/top quality paste as Icd and stock i7-6700k?

8. JasperLee93

JasperLee93 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Love the idea of using the U3.

Currently, I have swapped all my fans and replace it with 6 pcs of Cooler Master Silencio FP 120 PWM Performance Edition Fans with one 200MM Megaflow to exhaust heat.

My Alienware 18 has just had it's heatsink replaced and I am currently using Arctic MX-4 Thermal Paste.

Tested temperature is 25 C. Without using Coollaboratory Liquid Ultra, the results were impressive, since these fans are static pressure (More air pressure) and is able to push more cool air over the confined space of the laptop and without cutting holes on the U3, versus my previous 3 Jetflo fans and 1 Sickleflow X.

Consumes less power and I could now feel air coming from the cooler on my keyboard!

Idle:
    CPU: 40C
    GPU 1: 50C (Primary GPU)
    GPU 2: 32-35C

Load (Core Damage 100%, Heaven Benchmark, Ultra, 8X AA, 1920 X 1200):
    CPU: Max Temp: 83-85 C (Fans on Maximum Speed, 18 now reacts in time)
    GPU 1: 75C (65-70C if Fans on max speed)
    GPU 2: 75C (65-70C if Fans on max speed)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Stress Tech, Dr. AMK and Ashtrix like this.
  9. Rengsey R. H. Jr.

Rengsey R. H. Jr. I Never Slept

Reputations:
    O.k. So I decided to to mod my own laptop cooler. The mod is not completed. I need some assistance to get the required items to make the fans work. Once i get the required materials and have the fans working , I will finalize it. So here is what I got and did to it. I used antec fans that I have found in my desktop. The CPU fan is a lot thicker than the left/right.

Targus HD3 Chill Mat

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/...79&acd=12309152537461010&ven1=sE1inYhPj&ven2=,

Here are some pictures of original and after.

Attached Files:

10. Rengsey R. H. Jr.

Rengsey R. H. Jr. I Never Slept

Reputations:
    Continue ......

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.