Best "New car scent" in a bottle?

Discussion in 'Motorized Vehicles' started by MGS2392, Nov 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MGS2392

MGS2392 NAND Cat!

Reputations:
    So I picked up a .8oz bottle of "Ozium: 'That New Car Smell'" from Advanced Auto Parts. People on the Internet seem to be swearing by it, saying it smells like a new car. You can always trust them right? 4.4% Triethylene Glycol, 4.4% Propylene Glycol, 91.2% inert ingredients, and a little under $4 including tax.

So I vacuumed my car, cleaned the leather and plastic, and sprayed the stuff. So far, not that impressed. Right now, it smells sweetish, a plasticky cherry kind of smell, maybe even cough medicine. Some people say it takes a few hours to actually smell like new car. I sure hope so!

In the mean time, anyone have any personal recommendations in case this stuff doesn't work? And yes, I know the real new car smell isn't good for your health. But so is virtually everything else in this world.

2. booboo12

booboo12 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:

Open a shower curtain and put it in the trunk...it shares several of the new car smell properties ...seriously.

In all honesty maybe those "new car smell" pine tree things?

3. H.A.L. 9000

H.A.L. 9000 Occam's Chainsaw

Reputations:
    I think that is quite possibly the most original thing I've ever read. :D I'm going to try that just out of curiosity.

Usually though, I go to the Home Depot or Lowes and look on their cleaning supply isle. There'll be some little cloth draw-string bags of air freshener for your car... the one of the beach is AMAZING. It's almost like having the smell of coppertone and beach sand in your car... minus the mess. ;)

But I do agree, that you should put the good smelling object in your trunk. It keeps things from getting too thick in the cabin. Usually.

4. millermagic

millermagic Rockin the pinktop

Reputations:
    None of those smell like the real new car smell, just a bunch of horrible smelling chemicals. I had a friend that would always buy them and they just smelled awful.

I much preferred the coolant smell of my old Taurus or the burning oil smell of my Jeep.

5. linuxwanabe

linuxwanabe Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Actually, I'd advise anyone to throw away their shower curtain and install a proper shower door.

Hey, if you want your car to smell like a taxi, go with the little green pine tree airfreshners.

6. linuxwanabe

Reputations:
    \

Umm...beach sand and coppertone....uhhh....those aren't good smells. Actually, I really hated to take a previous ex to the beach in my car.

7. linuxwanabe

Reputations:
    My advice is to keep the interior of your car clean so you don't need air fresheners. It's actually quite simple:

1. Don't allow pets in your car.
    2. Don't allow smoking in your car.
    3. Don't eat in your car.
    4. Avoid drinking any beverage in your car, if possible.
    5. Use floor mats to keep the carpet as clean and dry as possible.
    6. Don't use any chemical cleaning products or air fresheners in your car.

If you follow these 6 simple rules and you won't need to worry about simulating a new car smell.

8. Pai

Pai Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I practice 4 out of all these, sometimes I eat in my car because it is the only time I get to eat breakfast, and I drink water or coke in car so that's the other one.

9. H.A.L. 9000

H.A.L. 9000 Occam's Chainsaw

Reputations:
    To you. They are to me... Smell is subjective to everyone.

PS... There is a "Multi-Quote" button right beside the quote button. :)

10. MAA83

MAA83 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I smoke, eat, and drink in my car and spray noxious amounts of ozeum... no pets thought and I do have floor mats.

Ozeum works. I break 4 of those 6 rules and my car still smells like new. Just don't get the scented ozeum, theres a black/white canister that's just deodorizer with no added scent.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.