Best monitor for M18x?

Discussion in 'Alienware 18 and M18x' started by Tony Balboni, Jul 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. steviejones133

steviejones133 Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Thanks. I just hope it works.

Actually, I've just been doing a bit more research into it. I reckon you need to ensure that the cable that goes from the M18x HDMI out to the active adapter is capable of transferring high speed HDMI signal - bandwidth of 10.2Gbps. I've seen various cables via a quick Google, however, Googling for "High Speed HDMI to Displayport Cable" just brings back lots passive adapters and few cables. Obviously, what we need to do is find a cable that has a Male HDMI one end and either male MiniDP/Full size DP on the other - and capable of transferring the 2560x1600 signal at that kind of bandwidth.

The reason I say MiniDP or DP is because those active adapters come in a variety of flavours. The one I linked to is for a full size DP, but I was having difficulty in finding a "cable" as opposed to a passive adapter. I did find this MiniDP to High Speed HDMI cable: iWires Mini DisplayPort to HDMI Cable 2.0m - Apple Store (UK) which states that it's bandwidth is 10.2Gbps. Of course, it's a MiniDP to HDMI but I imagine that it is bi-directional so you could plug the HDMI into the M18x and then you would require an active MiniDP to Dvi Dual Link adapter, such as this one: Mini DisplayPort to DVI Single-Link - Active Converter | USB Powered | StarTech.com United Kingdom to plug the male MiniDP into to convert the signal into Dual Link DVI. There are other MiniDP to HDMI cables out there but you need to ensure that they can carry a high speed signal - anything less than 1.4 spec's/10.2Gbps will just dumb down the signal sent from the M18x to the adapter and will come out the other end the same.

That's the best way I can think of right now of maintaining the signal/bandwidth until it can be actively converted into a Dual Link output at full native resolution. You might find cheaper versions available by shopping around or Googling - mine was a brief look to see what was available that might get the job done.

EDIT: I just spoke to a tech guy at StarTech, explained the situation and he said that a HDMI to DVI-D cable should do the job without any active converter. I'm dubious about this, but if it does work, it's a lot cheaper. The cable he linked me to was this one: http://uk.startech.com/Cables/Audio-Video/HDMI/10ft-HDMI-to-DVI-Digital-Video-Cable~HDMIDVIMM10, however, I do have my doubts as per my previous post......the HDMI signal is only passed along one side of the DVI cable - still, might be worth a shot.

EDIT 2: Spoke to another StarTech dude and he said the above cable wouldn't suffice - back to plan A LOL

2. sticky

sticky Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I have no idea how you know all of this but I am grateful. Let's give Plan A a shot and I'll report back :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.