Best looking Car from 80's - 90's that can be picked up cheap

Discussion in 'Motorized Vehicles' started by Brendanmurphy, Sep 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. millermagic

millermagic Rockin the pinktop

Reputations:
    Isn't the life of a waterpump going to be 10-15 years anyway? I know a lot of the "eco" coolant have problems. On a GM, I wouldn't be so worried about the 3.8 engine anyway. Every time I get in a 90s/2000s GM vehicle I break a door panel, seat, knob, radio, etc.

Buick Park Ave Ultra ... mmm ... Big front drive boat.

2. linuxwanabe

linuxwanabe Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    You'd think so, but I've experienced a car that was on it's third water pump before reaching it's tenth birthday.

I'd worry about any old car. As previously stated, the Buick V6 wasn't a good engine, it just wasn't nearly as bad as the domestic competition.

Oh yeah, GM products of that era had a lot of problems. It wasn't always consistent between vehicle lines, although some particular issues were shared with every vehicle from the cheapest Chevy to the priciest Caddy.

Pretty dreadful car, but original owner big Buicks tend not to be abused, since the owners are oh-so-old. If you don't mind the squishy shocks and old person stank, Buicks make good used cars. Oh year, they're completely undesirable and don't handle but that's why they're cheap - people don't want them. Of course, very few people wanted them when they were new, which is why there aren't many Park Aves out there.

3. millermagic

millermagic Rockin the pinktop

Reputations:
    I really don't mine floaty and soft spring vehicles as far as handling goes I'm completely satisfied with the leaf springs and steering box on the F350 I drive. The market for such cars has ... long since passed the age to be buying cars haha. If I was going to take a trip across the country I'd pick one. If I had to drive it in traffic or winding roads probably not. They are certainly too big for a front wheel drive car, I imagine driving it any more spirited than an old lady would result in a new set of tires each week.

If I could get one supercharged, I'd go for it! Put on a bigger pulley and scatter pieces of the transaxle along the side of the road. For now, though, I'm happy with my gas tractor six in my lifted volvo wagon looking thing anyway.

It's one of those engines that has a lot of low-mid range torque. Gear them high enough and they'll do just as good as most 4 cylinder cars on the highway (and accelerate at a snail's pace). Pretty sure they came with forged internals towards the end. I guess any GM has problems with gaskets but other than that I don't know of any other major problems with the 3.8.

4. Sefirothe

Sefirothe Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I learned how to drive in a '98 Buick Park Ave. It used to have what I'd call grand mal seizures. Every warning light on the dash would light up and flash, the engine would die which of course then meant you lost power steering and braking assist and then it wouldnt restart for 15-30 minutes until it cooled down. Happened totally randomly with no rhyme or reason. Sometimes would happen 3 times in one day or could go weeks with no problems.

Fun times! We nick named it The Big Blue Boat (paint was navy blue metallic). I still remember the first time I had to navigate it thru the levels of a tiny little parking garage.

5. Kaelang

Kaelang Requires more Witcher.

Reputations:
    Get a 1992-1994 Camry. :3
    The four cyls are pretty strong (look for a 5S-FE, fantastic engine http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_S_engine#5S-FE), I have no problem with emergency maneuvers. I'm a lead foot and this engine certainly delivers for a 2.2. In fact, it's pretty much the same engine that Toyota used in their sports cars (primarily the Celica GT/R and MR2). Not to mention it's got a cast iron block, and not that aluminum crap in newer vehicles (I don't like aluminum. :p). =s
    Can't go wrong (unless you get one that's been beat up like this poor thing http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_49dRBF9gQ

My insurance (I'm 18, male, live in Florida) is about $1600 a year. My dad got the rate somehow, I think it has to do with his commercial van insurance or something.
    I don't even remember who my current insurer is... I've gone through a few to get to this point. I had Geiko for a few weeks I think... I would have to check my glove box. =/

6. Brendanmurphy

Brendanmurphy Your Worst Nightmare

Reputations:
    Actually in Ontario you will pay more for a 4 cylinder engine car in insurance then a v6 sedan. Step dads price for a hyundai accent 02 = 2500 , 02 impala = 1700.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.