Best looking Car from 80's - 90's that can be picked up cheap

Discussion in 'Motorized Vehicles' started by Brendanmurphy, Sep 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brendanmurphy

Brendanmurphy Your Worst Nightmare

Reputations:
    Im almost 16 and looking for a good car from the 80's - 90's ( for lower insurance ) that looks good and has a pretty decent engine.

I almost had a 1980 z28 camaro for 2k with a broken tranny but i would have been able to rebuild it. But that guy had sold it :mad:. I hate the mustangs from that era. And i am looking at a couple of trans ams but price seems to be a bit high.

2. linuxwanabe

linuxwanabe Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    So you're going to be 16 and you want a muscle car? I can assure that any affordable performance car is going to be a nightmare. That $2000 Camaro was 30-31 years old and most likely had been driven hard by generations of overenthusiastic drivers. It probably was an awful car when it was brand new, because Detroit had reached new all time lows for quality back in the early 1980s.

Now, if you really want an all American V8, you're going to have to look for a car that you might not find appealing. You've going to have to look for a car that had a single, very elderly owner. You're going to have to look for a traditional, full sized, body-on-frame sedan.

Of course, the old '94-96 Caprices, Roadmasters and Fleetwoods weren't very popular when new and tend to be rare after all these years. You won't be able to afford the '94-96 Impala SS. Before '94, the big GM cars were dogs. Of course, you can always find Grand Marquis or Town Cars, but never, ever touch a former police Crown Vic/Interceptor.

3. Brendanmurphy

Brendanmurphy Your Worst Nightmare

Reputations:
    Im looking for a muscle car. The camaro was actually in wonderful shape. Engine had just been redone. Only the interior could use a bit of work and a paint job. It doesn't have to be a v8. That would send my insurance through the roof but a decent v6. The camaro was running a 5.7 v6

4. KLF

KLF NBR Super Modernator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Oh I'm so biased ...but something that has an i5 in it. Probably would stand out in the crowd too, in different ways depending if engine is running or not :)

What I'm thinking is old gen S4/S6, with the inline-5 2.2l turbo. Audi Ur-S4 / Ur-S6 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Maybe old 100 or 200 with the same engine type.

I wouldn't suggest those otherwise but since you seem to have place to fix and maybe add little boost, they offer nice bang for the buck. How you think they look, that's another thing and I can't really help with that :D

Unfortunately I cannot say how the insurance is there with those as I'm from the other side of the globe and nothing is cheap here.

5. H.A.L. 9000

H.A.L. 9000 Occam's Chainsaw

Reputations:
    IDK, my '76 Corvette Stingray was only $80 bucks a month for full coverage insurance when I was 16. It was gifted to me by my uncle, but still, it doesn't have to be expensive. The American muscle is a maintenance nightmare though. It may be easy to replace, but it DOES have to be replaced often.

6. Thaenatos

Thaenatos Zero Cool

Reputations:
    Does it have to be a car? If so the fox body mustangs are ALOT of fun!

7. linuxwanabe

linuxwanabe Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Well, if you're determined, there's still an affordable, authentic 1970s muscle car....the AMC Javelin. Once you stop laughing, look at these Ebay Motors listings....then start laughing all over again.

AMC: eBay Motors (item 120627048857 end time Oct-04-10 11:12:29 PDT)

The description is good for a chuckle:

The first question that come to mind: Who's Earl? My guess is that every AMC owner knows Earl. He apparently paints Javelins, and leaves a "lot of runs in the paint."

Now this is my favorite muscle car listing of all time:

AMC: eBay Motors (item 180566435553 end time Oct-02-10 16:14:38 PDT)

This listing is really tempting. Weird 1970s muscle car, looks super scary, comes with lots of spare parts. Throw into the bargain a disassembled 401, a 4 speed transmission and a rusty engine block. Yes a rusty engine block.

Best part of all, Earl didn't get around to painting this one.

8. Patrick

Patrick I beat spamers with stiks

Reputations:
    If you can't find a muscle car, look at the volvo 850 t5. (I personally love the car, if you don't then ignore everything else in this post)

ECU mod will get the car up to around 330 hp, and is much lighter on its feet than it looks. Oh, and its a volvo, so insurance is like nothing (And with you being a new driver, every little bit helps). Volvo vs a muscle car for insurance will be astronomically different (think... 500-700 a year different at least).

Heh... my base 95 850 could take a 2000 v6 mustang, and thats with a lowly 2.5L 144HP engine.

9. Syndrome

Syndrome Torque Matters

Reputations:
    A 5.7L V6 engine? Thats a pretty big V6, usually only see that big of displacement(per cylinder) in diesels. And last I checked the only 5.7L a chevy would have in it would be the 350 cu. in. V8.

10. millermagic

millermagic Rockin the pinktop

Reputations:
    GM did make a 351 v6 for a while a loooooooooong time ago.

Meh I say get Caprice or LTD Crown Victoria and drop in a bigger than stock V8

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.