Best Lightweight Anti Virus

Discussion in 'Security and Anti-Virus Software' started by johnnyftw, Jul 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MaXimus

MaXimus Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The lightest antivirus if you are asking is NOD32 FTW

2. Reaper05

Reaper05 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    my vote to NOD32

3. MidnightSun

MidnightSun Emodicon

Reputations:
    Norton Antivirus 2009. A complete redesign over older Norton products, NAV09 is extremely light on system resources (on my test system, it used fewer resources than NOD32) and yet has great detection rates.

It's not free, but certain stores (Fry's Electronics in particular) frequently have rebate deals for NAV that make a 3-license copy $0.00.

4. Serg

Serg Nowhere - Everywhere

Reputations:
    I am having this problem? Is this AVG related? I started a thread about the itunes latest update warning about this, but if this is an error in AVG it is a full different story...(175 viruses detected thanks to AVG)

5. steelroots7xe

steelroots7xe Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I currently use NIS 2009 which is a significant improvement from previous Symantec AV offerings. It's very light on CPU usage and even provides a monitoring feature with conumption bars and charts showing how much of your system it is using. My levels are usually 2-6% on idle computer use.

However, I have to admit that the most lightweight anti-virus currently in the market is Eset Nod32 as it only has a footpring of ~34MB. If you don't need a firewall and have another program to suffice for it, go with Nod32 for lightest usage.

6. Serg

Serg Nowhere - Everywhere

Reputations:
    I recently changed to Avira, decided that AVG was not working correctly (plus my itunes loss is something I wont forgive). Up until now it has been working very good. It seems to consume less than AVG.

Yesterday I was playing The Sims 2 will performing a full scan, and it ran ok (considering my laptop is single-cored). Lets see how it goes.

7. DarkSilver

DarkSilver MSI Afterburner

Reputations:
    AVG users always would see a huge impact of difference by switching to Avira or Avast!. I am AVG users for years as well and I switched to Avira a few months ago. Avira is still considered as No.1 FREE AV currently with its freaking awesome protection and light resources.

8. usapatriot

usapatriot Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    I think Avira was best but it would not update on Vista 64-bit so now I'm using AVG.

9. nu_D

nu_D Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Be careful with the *()*&^% as some mods consider that as bypassing the filter and will dock you points. Heck, I had just straight asterisks and got docked so I can't imagine what they will do to do you with all those fancy characters. Watch out.

10. Convoluted

Convoluted Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    My vote is for Avira. Never had any trouble with it, never actually notice it running. The free version is great, expect for those darn nag screens after updates (yes I know there is a way to bypass it). I may actually consider buying the full version in the future.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.