Best Laptop Screen/Panel out there

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by Dreepa, Mar 12, 2018.

1. Dreepa

Dreepa Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi,

what is your opinion on what's currently the best laptop screen/panel out there?

Not in terms of just "awesome for gaming" or "awesome colors" but really the best overall panel, that you can use for hours reading text or doing whatever you do day to day, with a crisp and clear picture quality.

Any opinions?

2. Danishblunt

Danishblunt Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Doesn't exist.

Gaming screens are good at what they do, so are screens for average consumer and screens made for designers.

3. Dreepa

Reputations:
    Well, if gaming is a category, and "average consumer" is a category, and "designers" is a category, I would argue that you just have to add "multi-purpose overall usage" to that thinking to say that it does exist.

As to narrow it down a bit, I would restrict it to FHD only. 1080p on a small screen should be enough, other people are staring at 23 inch 1920x1080 after all.

4. Danishblunt

Reputations:
    No, you can't. You need to exacly state what you need the monitor for in order for people to figure out what you need it for. It is absolutely impossible to give you a "best monitor". It doesn't exist.

It's like asking what the best car ist. Nobody can answer that. It doesn't exist.

5. Dreepa

Reputations:
    It is not. It is like asking what's the best all-rounder car. Ever heard the term "jack of all trades"?
    You can certainly measure the quality for a purpose, and that purpose might totally be "All around usage". So you have something that is "okayish to good" in all, but master in none of the criteria. Which would make it the "best" in that meta category.

6. Danishblunt

Reputations:
    Then whats the best all around car? There is your answer.

7. Dreepa

Reputations:
    Well, it's a general purpose vehicle, that can fit 4-5 persons, can have some luggage in the back, does not speed 200 kp/h but get's you to the destination with descent horsepower, does not hurt your back when driving a longer distance, has a moderate fuel consumption and does not come with any major technical anomalies (like cars that are known for having problems with the turbo charger, cars known to get faulty injection muzzles, etc.). So that would be something along the lines of a VW Golf, Mazda 3, Ford Focus, Audi A3, Toyota Auris, etc.
    :)

8. Danishblunt

Reputations:
    Oh look, not only did you mention 5 conditions but also named 5 vehicles and even added "etc". This is the exact same issue you're facing with screens, there is no absolute best. It all depends what conditions a person sets and the result will likely be multiple different screens instead of 1 absolute best.

Let me give you some questions:
    - Do you need the screen outdoor?
    - Are you light sensitive?
    - Does color accuracity matter for you?
    - Is responsive time important to you?
    - Do you like saturated pictures or rather more natural ones?
    - Does it matter how fluid your screen is?
    - What size are we talking about?
    - Do you need Touch functions?
    - Do you care for high pixel density?
    - Are we talking about a panel, or an actual notebook, because this is also important since notebooks have different ports for the screen.

Hell we can even add in if you care for bezled, gsync, glare or anti glare etc.
    Hell aspect ratio is even a thing for some people. I mean how on earth do you want us to tell you what the best is.

rlk likes this.
  9. Dreepa

Reputations:
    True. I just didn't think someone would take it that literal. :) I was more like expecting a number of suggestions of "good panels". If you take it to the scientific level (worked in quality assurance for several years) sure, you are right. However, I am on a forum, so my best guess was: Some users might have experienced panels they are really happy with, and they might share that experience.
    I rather did not expect someone to be a walking library knowing all panels, and then coming with a perfect suggestion to my specific needs. :)
    Anyway, fair points nevertheless. I like debates on principles.

However, since you asked, here we go:

- Do you need the screen outdoor?
    No
    - Are you light sensitive?
    Yes
    - Does color accuracity matter for you?
    No
    - Is responsive time important to you?
    No
    - Do you like saturated pictures or rather more natural ones?
    Either really. No preference.
    - Does it matter how fluid your screen is?
    No, not much.
    - What size are we talking about?
    17 inch
    - Do you need Touch functions?
    No
    - Do you care for high pixel density?
    No. FHD should be perfect.
    - Are we talking about a panel, or an actual notebook, because this is also important since notebooks have different ports for the screen.
    Notebook

But it should be sharp, clear, and suitable to be looked at for long periods of time. Something that is not stressing the eye.

Anyway, thanks for taking your time to respond and help out :)
    If you need to know more details, let me know.

10. nixliu

nixliu Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    some gaming screen are still using TN panel, since color is the sencond consideration .
    I'd like my old RGB panel.