Best Laptop I can get for $2000

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by yurilobo, Apr 7, 2019.

1. yurilobo

yurilobo Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hey everyone, good night!

I’m in pursuit of the best laptop that I can get for 2k max.

To summarize my needs:
    I’m a graphic/motion designer (Adobe Suite, Cinema 4D, Octane Render)

So, basically I need the best CPU possible for all the 3D calculation, and a fairly good GPU for the Octane Render, but don’t need to be a Quadro, since I still wanna play some games casually (Only if the Quadro one won’t lower my gaming possibilities and improve a lot my productivity, which I think that It’s not the case right ?)

GPU, don’t know if the money will do but would be nice to have a 1080 or the new RTX ones, for the power and to add some “future proof” to it.

Screen, again, do know If I can get everything but the perfect world would be a great screen with the best color fidelity possible to work (4K?) and also great for the casual games (144Hz?)

But, If Isn’t possible, I can give up one of these specs and think about buying an external monitor that will meet these needs (and for a better workflow too)

Mobility: I don’t need a super thin like MacBook Air or something, but I do need some mobility, too carry my laptop around with me. So, too bulky laptops might be a problem, unless that the gain in performance is really a game changer, then I can think about carrying the extra weight around, as a “workout routine” haha lol

I was able to gather this list but I’m undecided (too lazy to decide) which one is better for me.

I’ll be really grateful if you can help me at least narrow down this list.

* List:
    Asus ROG Zephyrus GX501
    Asus ROG Zephyrus S GX701
    Razer Blade 15 Advanced Model (2019)
    MSI GS65 (or GS75)
    MSI W-Series (WS65)
    Thinkpad X1 Extreme i7
    Dell XPS 15 (2019)

With Quadro:
    Lenovo P52
    Dell Precision 7530

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2. AlexusR

AlexusR Guest

Reputations:
    Best CPU possible means a full desktop CPU. There are some models which use those, like some Clevo/Sager models. They come with desktop CPU and you can also order custom versions with high res displays from HIDevolution, for example:
    http://www.hidevolution.com/evoc-hi...00k-i7-9700k-i9-9900k-rtx-2060-2070-2080.html

They won't be thin or lightweight but if CPU matters the most - they would be best choice.

If display quality (especially color accuracy) is also important - I would say Lenovo P52 would be a better overall choice.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 7, 2019
    yurilobo likes this.
  3. MattLangley

MattLangley Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Regarding size and weight you are comfortable with, I'd go to a store and try lifting and handling different sizes and weights to get an idea what works for you since that will probably be the limiting factor in how powerful of a laptop you can get.

yurilobo likes this.
  4. stamar

stamar Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    https://www.sagernotebook.com/customize.php?productid=1615
    https://www.eluktronics.com/MECH-15-G2

I'd just like to say that these are manufacturers something like asus or msi but they literally just cost too much to mass produce so they make small runs to reach the market quicker.
    A long story short is that they are normally better than any mass produced equivelent even though they are cheaper.
    These are both clones of the gs65 a little heavier maybe a touch less fancy

I like these two 15 inch for what you get for your money like a 2070 in thr 1600 range.
    Everyone seems to really 5 star the tongfang eluktronics 15
    I'd get a 2 tb ssd in your budget

Last edited: Apr 8, 2019
    yurilobo likes this.
  5. yurilobo

Reputations:
    These Cleve/Sager models really seems to have some great specs for the money. And you’re right, the one you’ve suggested is really thick but I couldn’t find the weight of it though. By the way, what would be a good “middle ground” between power and portability ? Something below 5 pounds maybe ?

Display quality is important too, maybe not so important If I’m planning to buy an external monitor in the future, but It’s. But, I’m almost giving up about the laptops with Quadro GPU, I’ve read so many comments saying that the gain in performance isn’t thaaat much for 3D/Animation works, compared to the top GTX/RTX models, and they said that they’re not so good for games. Don’t know If this information checks or If It’s nonsense.

6. yurilobo

Reputations:
    Yeah I’m trying to find some shop with some of these models to do this “weight test drive” I couldn’t find it yet =/

7. yurilobo

Reputations:

Wow, I could upgrade some cool stuff in these and still pay around 1800$. They’re reliable machines ? Like thermals and the overall build quality ?

8. yurilobo

Reputations:
    Out of Curiosity:

Just watched this video:

He’s saying It’s not worth it spending the extra money on the new RTX models yet.....two questions:
    - Do you agree ?
    - He’s talking only about games, but I think that In my case, working with 3D, looks like the ”real-time ray trace” feature can be a game changer for me right? Or am I talking sh#&? LoL

Also, maybe you can help me with another subject.
    I’m currently living in Dublin/Ireland and already saved 2k Euros to spend on this laptop, I said 2k dollars for two reasons:

1. Would be great to buy one for $2k max and save some money (once converted to Euro)
    2. I’m found some better prices buying in US, sites like Hidevolution or those you’ve mentioned above. So I’m thinking about using one of those sites that allows me to buy in US and send to their storage to redirect for me here in Ireland, do you know If It’s worth it or It’s just a waste of time ?

——

Also, found this Clevo too, with some nice specs within my budget:
    https://clevo-computer.com/e-sport-...9/clevo-n960tf-desktop-laptop-nvidia-rtx-2070

What do you think?

9. stamar

stamar Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I do not like that last clevo i prefer laptop cpu

yurilobo likes this.
  10. stamar

stamar Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Both of the ones i suggested are excellent

I would go as far as to say the tongfang
    Which is the one I didn't get i got the 17 inch version of the other one
    Is the best built one in the market. It has a mechanical keyboard

Both of these seem to have better cooling than any mass produced one.
    The build quality is like msi or gigabyte
    Not like Razer.

I would actually gust get the eluktronics barebones then order all the ram and ssds from newegg

To be honest they are built way better and have much fewer problems than mass production models . If they were cheaper they would be a mass production model they would be a dell g7 or something but they cost too much they have to be sold through non retail channels

yurilobo likes this.