1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

Best laptop for watching movies?

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by ben9999imsc, Apr 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ben9999imsc

ben9999imsc Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Best laptop for watching movies?

Macbook pro 17inch?

is there any other alternatives?

2. Persnickety

Persnickety Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:

LOL, excellent!
    No, I guess that's what it was built for. Well, except for anything blueray and if you can live with the reatively low resolution in comparison to others.

Sorry, this has nothing to do with you, but I do think that it needs like yours Apple is catering to.

3. Ghold

Ghold Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    fill out the FAQ...it could vary depending on someones budget

4. anothergeek

anothergeek Equivocally Nerdy

Reputations:
    Sony FW? 16.4" 1080p resolution, and they naturally have good screens. W90 from xoticPC would also be exceptional, if you don't mind carrying a 12 pound notebook and spending 2500 :p

5. ahl395

ahl395 Ahlball

Reputations:
    Please fill in the Faq. The Macbook is not the best option. ;)

6. David

David NBR Random Reviewer NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    I would have to agree on the Asus W90 if you don't mind the ginormous size and weight. Although not the brightest (220nits), the screen on the W90 has one of the best contrast ratios currently available in the market. Most notebook screen panels have a contrast ratio hoovering around 400:1, but the W90 has a 650:1 ratio coupled with above average viewing angles.

7. Soran_F

Soran_F Zero

Reputations:
    Please fill out the FAQ.

If you want something small and portable though, I'd suggest a Vaio Z. Its screen is excellent for high definition movies.

8. Flounder911

Flounder911 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    go with the sony FW , blue-ray, 16:9 aspect ratio (HD), its a perfect movie machine

9. sgogeta4

sgogeta4 Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Anandtech rates the Dell Studio XPS 16 and Acer 6920G screen to be very good.

10. wobble987

wobble987 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    what are you talking about? the macbook pro have 1920x1200 screen res. many 17" notebook features 1440x900 screen res.

what do you mean by this? what "need" would this be?

The Macbook Pro 17" is a very good choice. its the one i pick.

if you want windows-based one.

Toshiba Qosmio
    VAIO AW
    HP HDX 18

11. jonlumpkin

jonlumpkin NBR Transmogrifier

Reputations:
    MacBook Pro 17" is a decent (albeit expensive) option due to the decent quality screen, light weight (for a 17") and extremely large battery. However, to truly utilize the WUXGA+ display you will need to have 1080P source files and this can be difficult as the MBP doesn't offer Blu-Ray.

If you are looking for something a bit less expensive but possibly even better for movies, I would recommend the Sony FW. 16.4" display of decent quality (I think 1920x1080 is available) and Blu-Ray makes for a solid setup. Big downside of the Sony FW (and Blu-Ray) is comparitively poor battery life.

12. Persnickety

Reputations:
    It's true that quite a few 17 inchers have 1440x900. But in the same priceclass as the MBP 17 inch?

He's wanting a portable TV (with inbuilt DVD-player presumably), which is all fine and dandy, and as I said, I guess those kinds of needs are what Apple is catering to.
    I forgot that 1920x1200 isn't a BTO anymore as it used to be.

13. 12345

12345 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Asus W90 or HP HDX 18

14. R3v4n

R3v4n Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Apple? Lol. No offense to apple owners but seriously I havent seen one macbook ever that isn't just overpriced pants, I mean I could understand if it was like the Alienware deal where you pay for a flashy brand, but theres just nothing flashy about a plain white laptop with an OS that is compatiable with nothing. Maybe i'm being biased because I just have major issues with apple over pricing everything and trying to squeeze every penny out of people for half bait products.

Anyway I'd suggest a vaio FW blu-ray + I saw a few in my local PC World at the weekend and the screens are very good.

15. malamjahanam

malamjahanam Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    vaio fw might be a good consideration
    and please fill the FAQ it's gonna be better

16. wobble987

Reputations:
    even before the unibody model. apple is using 1920x1200 as standard in the old 17MBP, in their late 2008 model.

not trying to blindly defend apple, but there is a difference between the word, overpriced and expensive.

yes i agree their profit margin is higher, but they did developed their own OS. the parts is high quality, the fit and finish is very high, the support is first class, and there is a so many neat little touches like; magsafe, giant glass trackpad, very high quality unibody casing.

but i suppose thats my take, i wont turn this into another Windows vs Mac battle, im not interested in such a thing. you believe what you want to believe. i'm not gonna go off-topic and discuss this again.

if he wants a portable TV then go with TOSHIBA QOSMIO G50, no question. it doesnt have bluray, but has a CELL processor that can upscale the resolution pretty well.

if he wants a bluray equiped model; then something like Sony VAIO AW would be good.

unfortunately both the Qosmio and the AW is not built for travel, they are rather heavy, construction is rather fragile, and does not feature HDD movement sensor (which is a deal breaker for me).

also, to those that says mac is overpriced; check how much the sony costs? i'm not sure why toshiba drop their price drastically like that, last time around they are the same price as the VAIO AR (AW precursor).

17. Persnickety

Reputations:
    True. A little research reveals that did that in October last year. So it was still recent. I do think I'm allowed to have had forgotten about that resolution bump ;)

Exactly.

No, their parts are exactly the same quality as anyone else's.
    Tell that to people who have had really poor experiences with pitting, "tilting"/"tipping" MBAs, loose battery lids and so on.

Certainly not here in Europe. Unless, of course, you count a nice sales person as "support".

Hmm, yes, the Magsafe. Excellent idea – really, it is! - It's just a shame that the cable going into the magsafe often frays for people. The glass trackpad? Well, I guess that's a matter of opinion. It's worse than the older one when it comes to tennis elbow inducing movements (RSI, that is), and the "high quality unibody"? Well, honestly, their anodising quality really needs to be upped in general.

That's not how things goes. You simpy cannot think one can make a hit'n'run argument and then refuse to discuss what one brings to the table. If one doesn't want to discuss something, perhaps one shouldn't bring it up?

As far as I can tell, he doesn't seem to care about portability.

Oh, I thought you said you weren't willing to discuss these matters, eh? ;)

18. MotoXXX

MotoXXX Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    (lol) I have nothing to throw into the discussion but this...
    Your pretty much agreeing with him on the side that Apple is still a great choice. Overpriced means you have the money but wouldn't pay for it because you don't get the best bang for the buck compared to other models. Expensive means you would love to have it but don't have the money (meaning any laptop in general). In other words something that is overpriced is something you likely wouldn't ever consider, where something that is expensive you might consider if you had the money. Myself, I can lean towards either argument of overpriced vs expensive... For me it just depends on the day and my mood ;)

19. Persnickety

Reputations:
    Nope, I'm agreeing with him that there's a difference between being overpriced and being expensive. I don't agree with his premise that Macs aren't overpriced but merely expensive. I do agree with that expensive≠overpriced. I just think that after 20 years on the platform they have gone from expensive to overpriced. So, while we agree on the definition of words I disagree about which category the company in question falls in under.

See above ;)

20. wobble987

Reputations:
    yes as standard, they offer this as an option quite a while ago, like more than a year back.

no they're not, even the pluggin in and removing a USB plug is smooth.

the Macbook screen panel is unaceptable in that pricerange though.

thats Development/Quality assurance issue. which i complain a lot at ap, luckily their customer support policy is wonderful. i agree, the macbook and the macbook pro i had over the years have all been having rather weird issue that you wouldnt normally expect to occur.

apple revised the magsafe by reinforcing the material, dont know the story there, but i havent had any problem with fraying. and i havent heard of any incidence anymore.

you're doing that again, the glass is not for gesture, the glass is for durability (not proven yet) and ease-of-use purposes. you dont have to use the gesture if you dont want to. though i dont get why large, smooth, glass trackpad is worse than the tiny trackpad that most other notebook manufacturer use.

how can u say this? there has been no complaint yet about the new unibody casing corroded or developed pitting.

fine... your ignorance somewhat intrigue me.

yes, speaking of which, have you actually recommended anything good?

i dont want to, really, i dont, but you're ignorance is just to great, maybe im just in a bad mood, but, you're just too ignorant and illogical.