Best Laptop for Software Development???

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by criveraf, May 11, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. criveraf

criveraf Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi there,

I am looking for a good line of laptop computers (or a good model) in the market that fits the needs for software development.

I have looked many makes and models, and I have seen many great machines, but none of them make reference of being the choice for developers.

And I am talking about software development in .Net, VB, VC++, ASP, XML, SQLServer, Oracle, Flash, etc.

Does anyone know or may recommend the best brand of laptops for software development (model or line of product) with options?

Thanks,

Criveraf

(This topic may benefit many buyers looking for the same.)

2. Big Calhoun

Big Calhoun Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I'm not a programmer, but play one in my office. j/k Couldn't resist. Seriouslly, I'm not a programmer but work with quite a few on a daily basis. I see a variety of machines used; older company ThinkPads, newer P3 and P4 machines, and everything in between. From being nosey, it doesn't seem like there is a specific manufacturer that caters to developers. Most of my counterparts look for high-end machines that exceed the current curve. They also look for machines with serial ports so they can interface with some development kits that they use. From the conversations I've been a party to, there really isn't one manufacturer or model that caters to this function.

3. Big Calhoun

Big Calhoun Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Just off the cuff, I'd recommend an IBM ThinkPad G series. A desktop replacement machine capable of using a desktop processor instead of a mobile one. This machine also comes with a serial port on-board. You can choose a processor up to 3.0ghz (not sure if HT compatiable) and it looks like it will support a max. memory of 768KB. Trying to think like a programmer, I would assume you would want to develop on the same architecture, or as close to, that you'll be deploying on. Being able to accomodate a desktop processor, I would think, would be a great advantage. In addition, the included serial port means you don't have to carry around a docking station to interface with some software kits. Granted, that could be overcome by using a USB-Serial adapter but that's not always a transparent solution. Personally, I have issues using my Icom PCR-1000 with a belkin USB-Serial adapter. It does work, with a little tweaking. But if I were a software developer, I wouldn't accept that limited functionality because it wouldn't mirror the enviorment for which I'll be deploying. Without knowing what you're developing for, The ThinkPad would be my recommendation based on it's feature set.

4. criveraf

criveraf Newbie

Reputations:
    <blockquote id='quote'>quote:<hr height='1' noshade id='quote'>Originally posted by Big Calhoun

Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2015
  5. Quikster

Quikster Notebook Deity NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    Personally when I program I like lots of screen space and a fullsize keyboard. Which is why I ended up getting one with a 15.4" wide screen desktop replacement. For compiling code the extra money for a slightly faster processor isn't worth it. However, an Athlon64 may be worth the money. I love the style of my computer and the features for the price. It comes in three versions plus 2 names per version. HP zv5000/Compaq R3000T Shared - integrated graphics, HP zx5000, R3000T Dedicated - dedicated graphics chips for faster graphic processing, and finally HP zv5000z/Compaq R3000z - AMD64M chip nVidia graphics. Other than these key differences they are all pretty much the same.

zx5000 :: 2.4M :: 512 DDR :: 40gb 4200 RPM HD :: 15.4" :: Radeon 9600 Mobilty M10 :: Aquamark3 21,862

6. Andrew Baxter

Andrew Baxter -

Reputations:
    I use the IBM ThinkPad T40 and it's power, mobility and superb ergonomics work a charm for me...get SXGA for more screen real estate though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.