Best Laptop for 3D Modelling & CAD & Adobe Suite

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by Benjamin Kang, Apr 16, 2019 at 11:11 AM.

1. Benjamin Kang

Benjamin Kang Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello I am an architecture student and need a new laptop.
    The software I frequently use are the following:
    - AutoCAD
    - Rhino 3D & Vray
    - 3Ds Max
    - Revit
    - Adobe Creative Suite

1) What is your budget? 1500$ - 2500$

2) What size notebook would you prefer?
    15" - 16" screen (I am a student and cannot carry 17" laptop.

3) Which country will you buying this notebook?
    USA

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
    a. Like: I was looking at msi ws 65 but I really dont know. Open to any suggestions.
    5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed?
    No

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?
    - AutoCAD
    - Rhino 3D & Vray
    - 3Ds Max
    - Revit
    - Adobe Creative Suite

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both?
    15 inch. Weight doesnt matter.

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? (If so, please state which games or types of games?)
    No

9) How many hours of battery life do you need?
    Doesn't matter

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows, Mac OS, Linux, Chrome OS, etc.
    Windows
    Screen Specifics

12) What screen resolution(s) would you prefer? (See further below for explanations.)
    Full HD (1920x1080) or higher

Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?
    No but I would prefer decent build quality. One thing msi concerns me is people saying their build quality is relatively cheap. I do not know if this is true though.

Notebook Components

15) How much hard drive space do you need?
    I do not need much space because I typically backup on cloud storage and portable hard drives and delete past semesters works.

Timing, Warranty and Longevity

16) When are you buying this laptop?
    ASAP

17) How long do you expect to use this laptop?
    4 years or more

Thank you guys! :)

2. jeremyshaw

jeremyshaw Big time Idiot

Reputations:
    I do not really have an informed suggestion; just leaving some options on the table for you.

At $1500, you have enough to get a Lenovo P52 with a 6core Intel and a Quadro P2000, at current pricing (Tax Refund Sales for Lenovo). Dell Precision 7350 with a 6core Intel and a Quadro P2000 (also some sales promotion going on). Either laptop is each company's respective workstation, not a rebadged business/consumer laptop, like the P52s, Precison 5530, etc. Both of them can be loaded up a bit with critical options (big battery and 72% NTSC gamut screen for the Dell).

I'm leaving off RAM upgrades, since I have no clue what the actual requirements are anymore for 3D modeling applications. Extra bits of the budget can be used for RAM, warranty, and other niceties.

Either laptop is on the big and heavy side, even for a 15.6" laptop. Somewhere around ~7lbs when including the power brick. Both have large threads with some community around them, on NBRf. Even Reddit cannot provide that for workstation laptops.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/any-thinkpad-p52-owner.821658/page-17
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...0-owners-thread.820539/page-219#post-10897372

3. Benjamin Kang

Benjamin Kang Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi thank you for the reply.

I am looking to buy something with 16gb + of ram.
    Also, I'm looking at the lenovo and I'm conflicted whether to buy the one with quadro p2000 or p3200. Is there a big difference in terms of performance because I see a big difference in pricing. Is it worth the money? I am leaning towards the lenovo p52 for now from your advice but if any other people want to recommend me otherwise that would be appreciated. Thank you!

4. rlk

rlk Notebook Evangelist

Reputations: