Best Internet Browser 2020-2021

Discussion in 'Windows OS and Software' started by Spartan@HIDevolution, May 4, 2020.

?

What is your favorite internet browser?

1. Avant Browser

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Brave Browser

9.1%
  3. Chromium

4.0%
  4. Firefox

41.4%
  5. Google Chrome

22.2%
  6. Maxthon

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Microsoft Edge

11.1%
  8. Opera

8.1%
  9. Pale Moon

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Safari

1.0%
  11. SeaMonkey

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. SRWare Iron

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. Tor Browser

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  14. UC Browser

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  15. Vivaldi

1.0%
  16. Waterfox

2.0%
  1. Papusan

Papusan Jokebook's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on Filthy

Reputations:
    Vasudev likes this.
  2. Papusan

Reputations:
    Chrome 88 will prevent Ad blockers from working, but Vivaldi and Brave will resist winaero.com | Dec 11, 2020

Chrome 88 will come with Manifest V3 support for the Declarative Net Request API and other changes proposed as part of it. It clarifies API and feature changes in the Chromium project that also bring a number of restrictions for extensions. The most affected extensions are ad blockers, that will stop working properly. One of them, uBlock Origin, is already known for being incompatible with Manifest V3.

Google noted that they will keep the current Manifect V2 available for some time, and didn't define its removal date yet. Anyway, it is an unpleasant change for those who rely on ad blockers.

So, after uncertain period of time, this will end up making Chrome more secure, but some of the popular extensions will stop working. What about other browsers?

Firefox is not going to adopt the change for now. There is no plan to implement this restriction in the Firefox browser as of now.

Edge already allows testing the Manifest V3 feature, so it will follow Google with this move.

Vivaldi and Brave, two Chromium based browsers, won't enable Manifest V3 as long as they can. However, I doubt that this will last for long. It will require extra cost for them to keep the Chromium code base unlinked from the mainstream.

Chrome 88 will hit the stable branch in January 2021. By that time, Google will accept extensions compatible with Manifest V3 in its Web store

3. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    They screwed up Firefox again. It was causing CPU temperature spikes on both my desktop and laptop. I decided to give Edge Chromium a shot, and so far it has been darn impressive. It's fast, handles 60 fps YouTube gracefully, and I've not noticed any issues with extensions. This is the first time I've used a Microsoft web browser for more than 3 consecutive days since Internet Explorer 5.0. It's also, ironically enough, the best web browser that I've used on macOS. It's only slightly more power hungry than Safari but faster with fewer compatibility issues with extensions like Dashlane and Adguard.

4. MatteBlacke

MatteBlacke Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Firefox is good enough for me. Only pet peeve is the touchpad scrolling isn't as smooth as other browsers.

5. Donald@zTecpc

Donald@zTecpc Company Representative

Reputations:
    So, what does someone use that wants nothing to do with Google and Chromium based browsers?

support needed and Mr. Fox like this.
  6. hertzian56

hertzian56 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I use most of those but firefox mostly for the plugins/add ons, looking at the net without adblockers etc is a total mess. Palemoon and waterfox too. Vivaldi makes it a pain to not keep history/cookies but it's zippy as hell.

Donald@zTecpc likes this.
  7. saturnotaku

Reputations:
    Chromium itself is not bad. You could use something like Brave that is based on it but doesn't include any of Google's nonsense.

Donald@zTecpc likes this.
  8. Donald@zTecpc

Donald@zTecpc Company Representative

Reputations:
    I am looking to stay away from anything Google...including their Chromium project used by other browsers.

support needed and Starlight5 like this.
  9. saturnotaku

Reputations:
    Edit: Scratch that, even Maxthon uses Chromium now.

Edit 2: There's Avant Browser which gives you the choice of Trident (IE), Gecko (Mozilla), or Blink (Chromium) for your rendering engine.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2021
    Mr. Fox and Donald@zTecpc like this.
  10. Papusan

Reputations:
    Maybe look on Opera Browser. As well Vivaldi. I haven't used Opera the last decade, but it should be fast enough and secure. You haven't many options anymore if you want to avoid anything that smells Chromium. Then you have Firefox.