Best Gaming Laptop Under $2000

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by NewKidInTown, Apr 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tmets

Tmets De-evolving to Amoeba

Reputations:
    It really depends what the gaming is. Sure, most FPS will see limited benefit, but some RTS and things like FSX will greatly benefit from the better CPU.

2. NewKidInTown

NewKidInTown Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Do I need to upgrade the RAM to 16GB or 8GB is more than sufficient? I'm rarely using editing softwares.

3. DataShell

DataShell Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I guess you're right, but even then, the gains would not be that large. Besides, OP mentioned that they would be playing mostly Third-Person and FPS games.

8 GB will be sufficient for all modern games. 16 GB is useful if you do a lot of multitasking or if you like the extra headroom.

NewKidInTown likes this.
  4. NewKidInTown

NewKidInTown Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I might also be playing a some RTS or maybe some games like Diablo III. Does the change in CPU really affect much in different type of games?

I've also read that Dying Light needs more than 8gb of RAM? or it has been fix after that latest patch?

Last edited: Apr 20, 2015
  5. TomJGX

TomJGX I HATE BGA!

Reputations:
    I would get 16GB.. It doesn't cost that much and I've seen games like Cod AW use like 5GBs of Ram.. Also 8GB will be a single stick and so your Ram performance will be less due to single channel mode..

NewKidInTown likes this.
  6. DataShell

DataShell Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Diablo 3 will run fine. The change might provide a few extra frames in games like Company of Heroes 2, but even then it's not that many.
    With RAM, as I said, 8 GB is enough for all modern games. 16 GB dual channel is nice to have as it increases RAM speed (this will not affect game performance, but will make some programs and general usage a bit zippier) and would be needed for heavy multitasking (I'm talking 20 tabs open in Chrome, 10 in Firefox, file transfers, a spreadsheet, 5 word processors, and modded-Skyrim-running-in-the-background-type multitasking). EDIT:Scratch that-all that stuff only uses about 7 GB all together.

NewKidInTown likes this.
  7. Quikster

Quikster Notebook Deity NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    16gb will be good, but the main thing is to make sure you have 2 sticks to take advantage of dual channel bandwidth. This will increase your FPS by 5-10 over a single stick.

NewKidInTown and TomJGX like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.