Best gaming laptop for about 1100-1300?

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by Joe_125, Jan 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe_125

Joe_125 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Howdy, I'm glad I found this forum in the gazzillion hours of browsing the net trying to learn about laptops.

This will be my first laptop so I was looking for a desktop replacement (since I will most likely be playing games with it). While browsing the net I quickly learned that any laptop can do the basics email, internet, word etc but very few give attention to the video card, ram etc.

So my question basically is what would be the best laptop to get for 1200 to 1400 bucks.

So far I've only come up with the Dell Inspiron 5100 at $1276 with the 2.66 GHZ P4, 64 MB Ati Raedon card, 512 RAM, 60 GB Hard Drive.

Although this bieng my first laptop and readign too many reviews of people bashing Dell, I'm kinda freaked out.

I guess if its worth it I could pay a little more, would I sure wouldnt want too!

Woudl appreciate any help you guys can give.

Thanks!

2. Brian

Brian Working at 486 Speed NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    The 5100 is a very mid-range notebook. It doesn't offer the high end video cards gamers want and it's very heavy. For your budget though, you're not going to get a high end device. If I were you, I'd try to find a way to get into an 8600. You might also want to check Dell's refurb units, where you might be able to pick up an 8500 for a fair deal.

Editor in Chief http://www.bargainPDA.com and http://www.SPOTstop.com

3. Joe_125

Reputations:
    Thanks Brian, I looked around for refurbished 8500's but I couldn't afford them. So witch one would you buy with my needs in mind, the 5100 with the specs shown above or this emachines one Barry recomended to a fellow forumer.

Depending on whether you want more power or not, the eMachines M5312 (http://www.emachines.com/products/products.html?prod=eMachines_M5312) offers a heck of a lot more for the money including integrated Wireless G. Best Buy is currently (1-2-04) offering an unbeatable price (after $250 off) of $999.00 for this powerhouse. I just got one and absolutely love it, however being a 15.4" widescreen, it may be a bit too big for what you want. However if you want all the bells and whistles for $1000 bucks, this could be your dream machine:

Specifications
    Display: 15.4" Widescreen TFT LCD WXGA (1280 x 800 max. resolution)
    Operating System: Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition
    CPU: Mobile AMD Athlon™ XP-M 2400+ Processor
    Quantispeed™ Architecture operates at 1.8GHz
    266 MHz Front Side Bus and 512K L2 Cache
    Memory: 512 MB DDR SODIMM (PC 2100)
    Hard Drive: 60 GB HDD
    Optical Drives: DVD/CD-RW Combo Drive (24x10x24 CD-RW; 8x Max. DVD-ROM)
    Video: ATI® Mobility RADEON™ (Integrated)
    64 MB DDR Shared Video Memory
    Sound: PC2001 Compliant AC '97 Audio
    Built-in Stereo Speakers
    Modem: 56K* ITU V.92 Fax/Modem
    Network: Integrated 802.11g Wireless LAN (up to 54Mbps); 10/100Mbps built-in Ethernet
    Pointing Device: Touchpad with Vertical Scroll Zone
    Battery: 8-cell Lithium-ion (Li-ion)
    Dimensions: 1.36"h x 14.0"w x 10.0"d
    Weight: 6.6 lbs.
    Ports/Other: 3 USB 2.0 ports, 1 IEEE 1394, 1 VGA External Connector, 1 S-Video Out, 1 Parallel, Microphone In, Headphone/Audio Out, 1 PCMCIA Slot (Card Bus type I or type II)

I'm leaning towards the emachine one myself after you said the AMD processors are fine and I will hardly notice the difference between shared and none shared memory with 512 RAM.

I'll wait and see what ya gusy think before clicking the "Place order" button he he.

Thanks !

4. Joe_125

Reputations:
    Dang, I also found this one now.

Compaq Presario Notebook with Mobile AMD Athlon™ XP-M Processor 2500+

Mobile AMD Athlon™ XP-M processor 2500+ with QuantiSpeed™ architecture* and AMD PowerNow!™ technology for optimized battery life
    *Operates at 1.87GHz

512MB 266MHz DDR SDRAM for multitasking capabilities, expandable to 1.0GB

DVD-ROM/CD-RW combo drive

15" XGA TFT display with 1024 x 768 resolution

40.0GB enhanced IDE hard drive

ATI Mobility RADEON 4X AGP graphics and 3D architecture; 64MB DDR SDRAM video memory

Built-in 54g wireless LAN (draft 802.11g-compliant); integrated 10/100Base-T Ethernet LAN; V.90/V.92 high-speed modem

1 IEEE 1394 (FireWire) interface and 2 USB ports for easy digital data transfer and peripheral connectivity

Weighs 7.25 lbs.; about 1.6" thin for easy portability; high-capacity lithium-ion battery with AC adapter

5. Brian

Brian Working at 486 Speed NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    There is no doubt the specs are better on the eMachines. Given the last one you found, I like the eMach or the Dell. The decision may come down to support and your level of comfort with the eMachines brand. If you expect 2 years or less out of the machine, I'd think hard about the eMach...if you want a longer life, then I'd go with the Dell as it probably affords more upgrade opportunities. You may want to wait a little while though and keep your eye on the refurbs. They also often offer $100 off those machines.

Editor in Chief http://www.bargainPDA.com and http://www.SPOTstop.com

6. m3

m3 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hi José,

Brian has given you good advice and I hope I can help as well.

From reading your posts in this thread/topic, I'm unsure of exactly what you're looking for. [?]

Are you looking for just a desktop replacement? or specifically a gaming notebook?

What kind of games will you be playing? Are they demanding, graphics-intensive, and processor-intensive games?

If they are, then you have to look specifically for a gaming notebook, and not just any desktop replacement.

If you want a notebook that can handle games easily, then you must avoid models with integrated graphics controllers. Instead you should get a notebook with a dedicated graphics controller. The video subsystem is extremely important when it comes to games.

If you don't intend to play demanding games, then a notebook with integrated video should be sufficient. But note that not all integrated video subsystems are created equal (for example, some that use 32MB RAM are superior than others that use 64MB RAM).

Do you care about the notebook's battery life? weight/portability?

Will you use the notebook plugged-in most of the time?

Hopefully, I haven't overwhelmed you [:0] with all these questions.

7. m3

m3 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    <blockquote id='quote'>quote:<hr height='1' noshade id='quote'>Originally posted by Brian

The 5100 is a very mid-range notebook. It doesn't offer the high end video cards gamers want and it's very heavy. For your budget though, you're not going to get a high end device. If I were you, I'd try to find a way to get into an 8600. You might also want to check Dell's refurb units, where you might be able to pick up an 8500 for a fair deal.
    <hr height='1' noshade id='quote'></blockquote id='quote'></font id='quote'>

Brian is right about the Inspiron 5100 being unspectacular. But it is a solid machine. It does a have dedicated graphic controller, the ATI Radeon 7500. Unfortunately, the Radeon 7500 is rather old, so it won't give you great performance compared to newer graphics cards. Nevertheless it'll still beat out any integrated graphics controllers.

The 5100 is heavy, at around 8-9 pounds. But José said that he's looking for a desktop replacement, so a notebook's weight shouldn't matter.

Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2015
  8. m3

m3 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    <blockquote id='quote'>quote:<hr height='1' noshade id='quote'>Originally posted by Joe_125

Thanks Brian, I looked around for refurbished 8500's but I couldn't afford them. So witch one would you buy with my needs in mind, the 5100 with the specs shown above or this emachines one Barry recomended to a fellow forumer.

Depending on whether you want more power or not, the eMachines M5312 (http://www.emachines.com/products/products.html?prod=eMachines_M5312) offers a heck of a lot more for the money including integrated Wireless G. Best Buy is currently (1-2-04) offering an unbeatable price (after $250 off) of $999.00 for this powerhouse. I just got one and absolutely love it, however being a 15.4" widescreen, it may be a bit too big for what you want. However if you want all the bells and whistles for $1000 bucks, this could be your dream machine:

<hr height='1' noshade id='quote'></blockquote id='quote'></font id='quote'>

Joe,

This model that you cite is almost $300 cheaper than the Inspiron 5100 model you quoted. But at the Dell site, you can get this particular Inspiron 5100 for $999 (after $100 mail-in rebate):

P4 2.66, 15.0" XGA, 384MB RAM, 30GB HD, CDRW-DVD combo, and most importantly, a dedicated graphics controller - ATI Radeon 7500 w/ 32MB RAM.

Obviously, if HD space is very important, then this machine isn't for you. The Emachines has 2x the space. Even with less system memory, the 5100 is faster than the Emachines, especially for games.

Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2015
  9. Joe_125

Reputations:
    Thanks for your time replying, and don't worry you didn't confuse me, on the other hand helped a lot. After looking at almost all of the I'm gonna go with this ECS notebook. It offers teh most bang for the buck and I'm sure it wont be out dated for atleast 3 years or so.

Here are the specs

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3450737583&category=48485

Thanks again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.