Best Free Virus Protection

Discussion in 'Security and Anti-Virus Software' started by whoamI?, Oct 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tranquility

Tranquility Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Use a router with its firewall functions maxed. Use a Limited User Account. Run a browser other than IE, like Opera. Disable browser scripting, java, and plug-ins. Set individual site preferences to use scripting, java, and plug-ins where needed. Use blocked content to prevent ad-serving sites from delivering ads to those sites where you need to use scripting, java, or plug-ins.

Very effective, free virus, adware, & spyware protection with no impact on resources. In fact, I'm amazed how much faster browsing is with all the crap disabled. :D

2. coolguy

coolguy Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    ^^ No need for these special efforts. Just avoid browsing po**n sites (related sites) without a good antivirus program installed. That's how most people get into trouble. Plugins always decrease the speed.

My personal experience also speaks here.

3. Tranquility

Tranquility Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    The only real special effort is the occassional setting of a site preference, which is a top-level menu option in Opera. Ergo, it's pretty simple to do real time while right on the site.

And, perhaps most importantly, antivirus software not in combination with a limited user account is easily subverted and disabled by a virus. See Here. So it's a little off to suggest we need only avoid bad sites and use antivirus.

It's far more effective to produce an environment hard to reach (router firewall), hard to operate (limited user account), and with fewer targets (no IE and selective use of scripts, java, and plug-ins). Even more, rather than consuming resources, resources are actually freed - very noticably too.

4. theZoid

theZoid Notebook Savant

Reputations:
    Agree with that IMO. I use NOD32, but I have a couple of machines with Avast on them here at the hooch :D

5. Gintoki

Gintoki Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    What's a hooch?

6. theZoid

theZoid Notebook Savant

Reputations:
    hooch 2 also hootch (hōōch) Pronunciation Key
    n. Slang
    A dwelling, especially a thatched hut.

:D

7. Sam

Sam Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    That is his opinion, and he has a right to voice it. Even saying NOD32 or Kaspersky is the best AV can be argued against, because they are all just personal opinions.

8. eyecon82

eyecon82 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    well i guess what calvin is trying to say is that norton is a huge resource hog and has caused major instability in computers in the past.

Due to my past norton issues, i would never even buy or install anything from norton/symantec ever again

9. bmwrob

bmwrob Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I don't use Norton, but from what I've read of the newest version, if true, a better description would be that Norton was a huge resourse hog. All the reviews I've seen of the latest edition of Norton have been excellent. That said, my personal preference would be Kaspersky, fwiw.

10. Sam

Sam Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I agree with bmwrob, I would (I don't currently, but that is because its not my decision what AV my PC uses) use Kaspersky if I had a choice. But I don't, so I'm on Norton on my PC :D. I gotta say though, the past two versions of Norton (2007 and 2008) have really been dramatic improvements over previous versions.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.