Best Free Software for Windows

Discussion in 'Windows OS and Software' started by Gintoki, Jan 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. deathstick

deathstick Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Oh no, its been so long since the list has been updated. Have we exhausted all the good free programs available? ;)

2. Hiker

Hiker Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Yup, apparently all the good ones already been invented. :p

3. Shyster1

Shyster1 Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Actually, I think it's because Calvin may have retired from the forums - I seem to recall seeing a message somewhere saying that he was not going to be on NBR much anymore; I don't recall the specific reason(s), though.

4. McGrady

McGrady Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    There are still many good freeware not mentioned on the list.

5. Baserk

Baserk Notebook user

Reputations:
    If I recall the thread correctly, in which Calvin himself declared he was leaving NBR (and even more for those who remember the somewhat morbid farewell thread), he himself asked 'the mods' to take a decision as to who was allowed to edit his, imo much appreciated, freeware list/thread.

So, mods, what are you guys going to do?
    Either you guys simply decide which (senior) NBR member(s) is/are applicable or should a poll be initiated in order to come up with a list of possible thread editors or a combination of sorts?
    It would be a waste to let this thread dwindle and die.
    Cheers.

6. dbam987

dbam987 wicked-poster

Reputations:
    Awesome list! Not sure if it's mentioned, but you can get the VMWare Server virtualization software for free. Can you add that to the master list?

7. Kdawgca

Kdawgca rotaredoM repudrepuS RBN

Reputations:
    Because this thread will continue to need updates and Calvin is currently absence(personal matters), the first senior member (700+ posts) who wants the responsibility can have the "job"... just post here if you want it(first post from a senior member who wants the job after this post has it)

That member will copy the original post to a new thread (just give Calvin credit) and will continue to maintain it. I only ask that person tries to continue to be active and be open-minded(please consider the recommendation of other people).

Also, The mods have final say and we will figure something out if that doesn't work out or something comes up.

Happy new year!

-Kdawgca
    NBR Mod

8. McGrady

McGrady Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Please keep in mind, that whoever takes on this job is most likely going to have to test out and try many software that he/she comes across or gets recommended from other members. I recommend using SandBoxie when testing out new software or if you have a older machine that you use to test stuff out on. Good luck to whoever you may be!:)

9. dbam987

dbam987 wicked-poster

Reputations:
    I'd be willing to take on this fun "job". I have a couple XP/Vista virtual machines that I could use to test out any software presented here.

10. Kdawgca

Kdawgca rotaredoM repudrepuS RBN

Reputations:
    Okay...good enough for me. You have the "job". Congrats. Create a new thread and copy the list over(giving credit of course) and let the fun began :p .

I will close this thread with a redirect to your thread when you have done that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.