best free protection for viruses, spyware

Discussion in 'Security and Anti-Virus Software' started by ulanigold, Mar 28, 2009.

?

What is the best antivirus?

1. NOD32 AntiVirus

24.8%
  2. Kaspersky AntiVirus

17.8%
  3. Norton 2009

14.0%
  4. McAfee Virus Scan

3.9%
  5. Panda Anti Virus

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. BitDefender Antivirus

0.8%
  7. F-Secure Anti-Virus

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. AVG Anti-Virus

6.2%
  9. Avast! AntiVirus

17.1%
  10. Avira AntiVir

30.2%
  11. Other (Please specifiy)

2.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tuηay

tuηay o TuNaY o

Reputations:
    lol :D You are a funny guy :cool:

I have tried NOD32 and avast! +++
    I only trust Kaspersky Internet Securty 2009 !

2. McGrady

McGrady Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Just because it is a paid software does not mean it is any better. Don't get me wrong there is of course better software that is paid compared to the free ones (ej; Microsoft Office over Open Office), but for AV, this is not the case. I am not a bias party either. I used to use Nod32 few years ago for a couple of years to boot! But when I got a new rig, a lot of rage was for Avira, so I did some research and Avira FREE continually placed top 3 in detection rates, so I definitely gave it a shot. At the time, I didn't care for resource usage, but since I got on this forum, everyone seems to care, so I took a look, and all the combined Avira processes don't even break 12,000k. It is extremely lightweight, fast, and has great detection rates.
    if you are fine with paying for Nod32(unless you get it some other way) and are fine with the product, so be it and continue to use it! But if you really want to try a free av or sick of paying, use Avira Free, you won't go back to anything else.

3. MaXimus

MaXimus Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I agree that Avira is my 2nd best choice after NOD32, I have used it for about 6 months on one of my PCs, caught every single virus I threw at it, and was light, you only get the annoying popups after each update but that's ok for what it gives j00.

I install Avira on any system that I fix ;)

But for meh personalleh, NOD32 it is. to each his own I guess :rolleyes:

4. McGrady

Reputations:
    Simple to get rid of that annoying pop up. Though it should be disabled by default. Oh well, can't get everything you want in a free product. :p

5. MaXimus

MaXimus Notebook Deity

Reputations:

I would like to know how d00d, as I install it on all the PCs of friends that I f!x

6. McGrady

Reputations:
  7. MaXimus

MaXimus Notebook Deity

Reputations:
  8. Jakamo5

Jakamo5 Tetra Vaal

Reputations:
    There's promotions all over the internet that give you Avira PREMIUM for free for 3 or 6 months, you just have to search for them. Avira Premium is the best there is.

9. 4451235

4451235 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Don't you guys ever get tired of discussing this? There is no "best" anti-virus. Each variation has it's own faults. Some AV's have better malware indexes (although this fluxuates), others have better real-time protection... There are too many variables to pick out a definitive "best."

I would also say that most PC infections that are not the fault of the end user are quite uncommon... Most come from Torrents, "adult entertainment," and other questionable online activities.

10. Aeris

Aeris Otherworldly

Reputations:
    I have used many antivirus programs over the years, and I came to realize that there is no such thing as a "Best Antivirus", every antivirus has its pro's and con's, I believe that the "Best Antivirus" is the one that suits your needs perfectly.

For example, I use Avast! because of its customizable interface and modules, and still keeps a very high detection rate, competing with Avira Antivir, it is updated continuously as well, but, it is not as User Friendly as Avira Antivir.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.