Best/fastest anti-virus for Vista use?

Discussion in 'Security and Anti-Virus Software' started by slayerfaith1982, Oct 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slayerfaith1982

slayerfaith1982 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I just got a notebook and it comes with trial McAfee preloaded onto it. I've heard both Mcafee and Norton are resource hogs. Along with Vista being a resource hog, this leads to slow performance. Does anyone have a suggestion for a FASTER, efficient and reliable virus/spyware/etc. program (also inexpensive would be nice too be not necessary)

2. orev

orev Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    NOD32 is reported to be the fastest, but not free. AVG Free and Avast are also very good, and they are free.

3. Notebook Solutions

Notebook Solutions Company Representative NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    My friend also recommends NOD32. It uses only 8 MB of memory and does a full scan is 10 minutes, according to my friend though.

4. slayerfaith1982

slayerfaith1982 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Hell that's way better then Mcafee and Norton isnt it? Those programs use like tons of RAM don't they?

5. Eleison

Eleison Thanatos Eleison

Reputations:
    I recommend Avast if you're looking for free. It outperforms a lot of commercial offerings like Norton & McAfee.

6. bmwrob

bmwrob Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Damn, I just read a review/comparison of AV apps last night but can't remember at which site. NOD, Kaspersky and TrendMicro all did well. I don't remember which free apps were tested, but Avast and AVG have been recommended many times by folks here and several other sites I visit.

Not too long ago, in PC World I believe, even Norton AV was given a great write-up. Apparently, the lastest version has been slimmed down and works very well, though with its long history and reputation for being bloated, I'll go with Kaspersky if I return to Windows.

7. vaio2k7

vaio2k7 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    There are so many threads on this subject but I use AVG for antivirus and anti-spyware. Both are free, fast, and resource efficient.

8. eyecon82

eyecon82 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    ive tried avg and avast..used avg..switched to avast to see if it was any better...slowed down my computer significantly...with a t7300 and 3gb ram..so went back to avg..love it..and have used it for the past 2 years or so without any problems

9. Gintoki

Gintoki Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    As vaio said there are tons of thread on this but...i use AVG, and Avast. I also recommend NOD32 like the others.

10. Triple_Dude

Triple_Dude Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Avast user right here ;).

If you're looking for commercial-ware, look no further than NOD32. 3rd party tests have shown it to be the fastest and most accurate Anti-virus program around :).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.