Best choice ram for gaming

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by sisqo_uk, Jun 17, 2019.

1. sisqo_uk

sisqo_uk Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Hi guys. lil confused. I can buy either 3000mhz ram at 16cl or 3200 at 22cl.
    I was going to go for 3000 at 16cl. But I’m reading that faster ram with higher cl number is “not the true cl number” and it’s actually lower in reality.

I’ve seen videos where all ram speed equal. The lower cl was made that the clear winner. However when all speeds are different and bigger cl number, the faster ram ultimately gets better results.
    I’m buying based on gaming as the sole factor. So I’d appreciate advice and why if it can be explained.

Thank

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Read the link about memory testing in my post here http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...ers-welcome-too.810490/page-596#post-10921154

Slightly higher ram clock speed vs lower timings is the choice between Pest and cholera. Only testing (both) in your workflow will determine what’s best for you.

3. yrekabakery

yrekabakery Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    3000MHz CL16 is better.

4. jaybee83

jaybee83 Biotech-Doc

Reputations:
    rough rule of thumb estimate on actual performance: divide Mhz by CL, higher resulting number wins.

in your case:
    3000/16 = 187.5
    3200/22 = 145.5

3000 CL16 wins :)

Vasudev and Robbo99999 like this.
  5. sisqo_uk

sisqo_uk Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Thanks for the reply. I did try that rule till I realised there’s a little bit more than to it in regards to “true latency”
    But elsewhere I’m also getting the opposite answer. I’ve added a screen shot of a part explanation. See if you agree or disagree.

[​IMG]

6. jaybee83

jaybee83 Biotech-Doc

Reputations:
    in general, yes. higher bandwidth is more important than lower latency. but this is only true for a specific range. once u go overboard with latencies, the higher bandwidth doesnt give u much, if any, real life performance benefits. and thats where the quick and dirty calculation above comes in :) i originally got it from anandtech, so it cant be all that bad ;)

Vasudev likes this.
  7. sisqo_uk

sisqo_uk Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I might buy both. Do few benchmarks and decide.
    I know there won’t be much in it.
    I’ll try firestrike, timespy, in game benchmarks in: GTAV, R6 Siege and Division 2. It should give me very result.
    It’s not what I wanted to do. But I suppose in the future with laptops I will know whether the high latency with higher clock speed outweighs lower clock speed and lower latency.
    I just find it to inconclusive to pick the one without being 100% certain based on two different post where you agree with each other despite primarily selecting opposite answers.

jaybee83 and 0lok like this.
  8. TheReciever

TheReciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    This wouldnt be for your AW 13 R3 would it?

Because that platform only works up to 2666Mhz so most of us just look for the tightest timing kit at that speed.

Vasudev and jaybee83 like this.
  9. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    The bottom line Memory performance is all about the relationship between speed and latency. For optimal performance, install as much memory as possible, use the latest memory technology, and choose modules with as much speed as is cost-effective and/or relevant for the applications you’re using.

What notebook you want to upgrade? Remember not all notebooks out there is able to handle the memory sticks speed you have chosen. And there is nothing that say the faster sticks will perform better than the sligtly slower with better timings.

Why speed matters more than latency...
    Download the full whitepaper

Second and last. You'll need test it!
    Yeah, 22cl for only 200 MHz higher ram speed is a huge difference (downside) vs. the slightly slower sticks running 16cl.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
  10. sisqo_uk

sisqo_uk Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Thanks guys. No the laptop I’m now using Lenovo y740 but with 8th gen 8750h. Says 3200mhz is its top speed ram

jaybee83 and Papusan like this.