Best choice for programmers?

Discussion in 'Apple and Mac OS X' started by vagnaar, May 25, 2016.

?

Which is the best choice for programmers?

1. Macbook 12

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Macbook Air 13

2 vote(s)
    28.6%
  3. Razer Blade Stealth

5 vote(s)
    71.4%
  1. Kent T

Kent T Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I favor business class workhorses running *Nix! Behold, the power of the Command Line and thy Shell. Got Root? That said, Apple OSX does have BSD running the show and therefore is a *Nix box. So, out of these choices, Apple does have advantages if you like to think outside the Box and run thy command line.

2. Jarhead

Jarhead Systematic Love

Reputations:
    There are some *subtle* differences between the Darwin BSD's unix-ness and the more common Linux unix-ness, but either are certainly a hell-a lot better than cmd.exe (and I guess PowerShell, but I need to start playing with that soon).

Kent T likes this.
  3. Kent T

Kent T Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    You do raise a good point. I run only *Nix at home. I refuse to run Windows. Hope to maybe have a MacBook Pro for audio use only.

4. Rhodan

Rhodan NBR Expert of Nothing

Reputations:
    Really?

On my rMPB I can develop for Apple platforms, Windows, Android, etc... Can you say the same?

5. Andil

Andil Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    i am getting an air 13 for programming...mostly android studio/ios/unity but I wont run emulators on them, I am debugging my code only on hardware.
    Will the air13 be enough? atm is the cheapest in UK among the poll choices...

6. Jarhead

Jarhead Systematic Love

Reputations:
    Depends on the complexity of the code you're working on. The Android and iOS stuff should be fine, but Unity could be a resource hog (and iirc you need Windows for that, which is yet more resources needed).

Andil likes this.
  7. ThinkpadUser858

ThinkpadUser858 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Indeed. Actually you need both if you are a real dev. but for a student who is supposed to have only 1 machine I will not recommend Apple.

Sorry if I have been offensive it was not my goal but Apple products are frustrating enough to be out of control today

It doesn't change the fact good people use Macs too :)

But you have to be sure you have the $$$ on your account unless you are going to end up in the loosers area

Apple is going to suck any penny from your account because they want you to buy the whole package: iPhone, iPad, Mac and of course overpriced accessories

8. Jarhead

Jarhead Systematic Love

Reputations:
    Welcome to capitalist markets, where the desire of any seller is to sell you all of their warez. Lenovo does this just as well with their products, as does GM (just had to deal with that today... fun...), EA, Samsung, so on so forth. You as a customer either have to have enough self control not to fall for impulse buying, have to determine if XYZ is actually useful for you for the price, or simply buy whatever you're told to buy. That's not unique to Apple, and any idiot can wind up buying useless stuff for a bunch of money.

Don't see how their stuff is frustrating though. OSX software isn't much different from Windows/Linux software as far as usability goes. If you mean the ecosystem (such as buying software through their online portal), well.. it's their court and you either play ball or don't :p. You can always walk away.

9. ryzeki

ryzeki Moderator Moderator

Reputations:
    Do not resort to name calling or use insulting/derogaroty terms just because you have a preference or inclination. Debating/arguing does not need to resort to name calling. Keep it clean people!

I would argue that learning to program works with any machine you want. You can install any os and work on any development environment you desire. Most have their pro/con. Macs are great for programing, but they can be expensive.

Jarhead likes this.
  10. ThinkpadUser858

ThinkpadUser858 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I agree. All the brand today are trying to turn into Apple and to take all your money.

This is the reason why I renovated my old Laptop and still run Windows 7.

Apple machines are more than great and I wish I could have them all.

But this is the same thing with cars, I like Maserati or Alfa Romeo but if I had a complicated long trip to do I will drive a basic Toyota

Again, if you have a lot of work and suddenly have a part of your computer that broke, even a simple cable or a wifi card, this is going to cost you 10x more money with Apple, and sometimes it can be very frustrating

As you said it's a question of money.