Best buy job

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Raidriar, Jul 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JCMS

JCMS Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I tried applying at Future Shop for that. They require the certification and either 2 years of experience a DEP (professional school diploma) in computer maintenance.

The certification isn't hard from what I've been told but it's $400

2. MrButterBiscuits

MrButterBiscuits ~Veritas Y Aequitas~

Reputations:
    Honestly I can tell you the biggest reason they will reject him as geek squad is becuase he is 16... his best bet is to just get a job at best buy in the computer department (if he can lol, that will be challenge in itself) and then prove himself from there... when you get the chance or are on break go be friendly and chat with the Geek squad guys befriend them, because a good connection is the number 1 one way of getting a job... just make sure your not overzealous, don't try to prove to them you should be with them as that seems desperate! Just talk to them, make casual talk and if they are GOOD geek squad guys one thing leads to another and they will start talking about computers which is then your chance to demonstrate your knowledge through your responses. But be careful, Like I said don't be overzealous, don't take the rains, let them control the conversation and just respond aptly! Good Luck! next summer I'm hoping to work in computer sales area or in geek squad as well!

3. Tinselworm

Tinselworm Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    honestly, it was more like an ice cube.

4. MICHAELSD01

MICHAELSD01 Apple/Alienware Master

Reputations:
    Out of curiosity, does anybody know if BestBuy forces you to keep the same position for all of the time that you're there or does BestBuy let you work multiple positions on different days? (i.e. Someone wants to be a salesperson selling TVs on Tuesday and Wednesday and they also want to be a salesperson in the computers section on Thursday and Friday)

5. Clutch

Clutch cute and cuddly boys

Reputations:
    I think you might need to be cross trained and even then you would have a primary position any doing the other when there is shortage of people.

That is how it worked at other places I have worked.

6. lottdod_1999

lottdod_1999 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I too got rejected by best buy!
    They definitely asked those stupid questions about experience
    their loss, I'm in customer service now and one of the best at my company, customers love me and I know my stuff.

7. JM

JM Mr. Misanthrope NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    No, they do not.

Each position and thus, person, in the company is coded, meaning their labor is specific to a department, and thus they are to work in that department. Currently, unless in VERY specific circumstances, there is no cross-coding, due to the way the system is setup. It would also prove and issue for both coverage and mixing that with who has what day off/requested off. It would take too long for supervisors/managers to setup a schedule under such conditions, so it's not (at least currently) allowed.

Now, if your department is dead, you have knowledge on another department and they're busy, you can step over to help out, but you won't be scheduled or in that department all day. For example, I'm coded as Computers Full Time, but I'm originally from Geek Squad (no Full Time there hence my switch), so I'll help out there if they're busy. If Home Theater is busy, I have the knowledge on products/services there to assist customers. Same with Mobile/Cellular and a bit in Digital Imagining.

They will not easily let you train to assist in another department, however, unless you pick it all up yourself or you come from another department.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.