Best Buy - GS65 or GS63?

Discussion in 'MSI' started by clubnp, May 14, 2018.

1. sk3tch

sk3tch Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Same with the GS65 model...but that’s on purpose so the different retailers/vendors can attempt to differentiate. Watch the specs, check the return policy, and make the purchase...

2. Kevin@GenTechPC

Kevin@GenTechPC Company Representative

Reputations:
    That might be market segmentation strategy used by MSI by creating special SKUs for various of markets.

3. win32asmguy

win32asmguy Moderator Moderator

Reputations:
    You might also take a look at the MSI GE63 Raider RGB-010. For the same money as the GS65, it would work with your existing SSD. The screen is a 120hz TN, but I think it has better response time and color gamut than the 144hz IPS used in the GS65. I think the keyboard deck should be solid but you would want to double check the owner's lounges or reviews. That model is available from resellers so you can order it repasted which will likely give you a better experience out of the box than from Best Buy.

If you want to keep things cheap you could also look for open box Alienware 15 R3's being clearanced at Best Buy, I see them at most stores around here for ~1300 + tax for a GTX 1070 and 7700HQ. Be sure to boot it up in store and also verify how much warranty remains of its initial 1 year so you can have them knock some extra off the price.

Kevin@GenTechPC and sk3tch like this.
  4. Ergo7

Ergo7 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    1. BestBuy's GS65 is a cut down Best Buy exclusive model. I ended up getting mine from BB only because I had gift certificates. The 512GB drive is SATA based and not NVMe.

5. cranker2k

cranker2k Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I actually think it's a real good buy, because any of the GS65 with NVMe with 512GB cost a lot more. I upgrade laptops myself (very straightforward with teardown videos on YouTube), so I just added the newly released Samsung EVO 970 1TB NVMe SSD (great price at $399 MSRP). With Samsung Data Migration to clone over the boot partition, I now can use the slower SATA SSD for secondary storage.

Last edited: May 17, 2018
    bradleyjb, sk3tch and win32asmguy like this.
  6. sk3tch

sk3tch Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Yeah it's the best GS65 value for sure.

I opted for an authorized reseller for a couple of reasons:

1) Wanted upgraded thermals - turns out that after tweaking my fan profiles the Conductonaut liquid metal + Fujipoly pads installed by HIDEvolution made a big impact.
    2) I have a personal ban against Best Buy so I do not shop there, and even if I did the sales tax pushes the price to $2,150.
    3) Didn't want to deal with upgrading (even though I'm comfortable building PCs and have upgraded countless laptops before - this one looked annoying) - so the $2,500 model with 32GB RAM (sigh, so unnecessary and just there to charge more $$$) and the 512GB NVMe was a good balance (I mostly play 2-3 games at one time, use USB 3.0 external to bring Steam library).

Well, I guess that's a few reasons. :)

Enjoy your laptop. I think I will upgrade my storage eventually - good to know the process isn't too bad. Those EVO 970s look awesome. I am pretty sure the Samsung NVMe that is installed in mine is the OEM version of that, essentially.

cranker2k likes this.
  7. quickie

quickie Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    how loud is this thing? Is it as loud as the Razer Blade?

8. cranker2k

cranker2k Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Working normally where GPU is idle, the laptop is silent. When CPU is very loaded, I read somewhere around 40db which make sense. When GPU is running and using default fan curve, fan noise is about 43-44db. But fan stays that way to 90C so it can throttle. Turning on Cooler boost drops temps by 20C but I would think the fan noise go over 50db in a high pitch. No thin gaming laptop (or any gaming laptop) can be quieter, except for Zephyrus. But that has less usable keyboard placement for 1080 Max-Q and embarrassingly short battery.

By undervolting CPU, curve GPU voltage/frequency, GS65 stays cool, quieter and don't throttle. By applying liquid metal paste, it's even quieter and cooler.

9. quickie

quickie Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    So how is the warranty, i just bought the laptop I love it, but within minutes the control key fell off and i cant get it back on

10. sk3tch

sk3tch Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Can be louder. I just sold my Razer Blade v5. Initially I thought the GS65 was way quieter but that was because the “Auto” fan profile seems that way but in the meantime it’s not cooling sufficiently. Once I tuned that (don’t use “Cooler Boost” for every day it’s crazy loud) all was good and acoustics are similar to a fully updated BIOS Blade (they’ve tuned their fans over time). Just game with headphones. :)