Best Buy - GS65 or GS63?

Discussion in 'MSI' started by clubnp, May 14, 2018.

1. clubnp

clubnp Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi! I'm currently looking to replace my 2012 Lenovo and narrowed it down to MSI or Gigabyte Aero. I read a lot of QA issues with the screen and other pieces which pushed me to the GS65. I went to Best Buy to check out the versions they had. I really wanted to like the GS65, but it did feel flimsy and the keyboard didn't feel great. The GS63 felt a little bit more sturdy and the keyboard felt 'better', it would also let me put my current SSD in it as well (I'll be taking out the 1TB). I guess I'm wondering why I shouldn't go for the GS63 Best Buy version? I do like the look of the GS65 more, but it doesn't seem worth $500 extra for my situation, unless the battery is that much larger. The 1060 would be plenty for the random times I'll need to game on it. What am I missing?

$1500
    MSI - 15.6" Laptop - Intel Core i7 - 16GB Memory - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 - 1TB Hard Drive + 256GB Solid State Drive
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/msi-15-...-drive-aluminum-black/6211744.p?skuId=6211744

$2000
    MSI - 15.6" Laptop - Intel Core i7 - 16GB Memory - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 - 512GB Solid State Drive
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/msi-15-...with-gold-diamond-cut/6211741.p?skuId=6211741

Vistar Shook likes this.
  2. sk3tch

sk3tch Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    GS65 weighs .2lbs less. :)

GS65 has the GTX 1070 Max-Q which performs about 10-15% faster than the GTX 1060.

GS63 has a "regular" 1080p screen (60Hz) not 144Hz like the GS65 one.

If none of those things bug you, then yeah, I'd say the $1500 laptop is a better buy for you.

3. Kevin@GenTechPC

Kevin@GenTechPC Company Representative

Reputations:
    ASUS & MSI have good quality if you want to check out their reviews.

4. Support.3@XOTIC PC

Support.3@XOTIC PC Company Representative

Reputations:
    Comparing the specs I think I'd lean towards the 65, but it comes down to whether the differences between the two are important to you.

5. ryzeki

ryzeki Moderator Moderator

Reputations:
    I'd go for the GS65 based on specs, though it depends on you what you like about the machine. While the GS65 is slimmer and slicker, it lacks numpad which is not an issue for most people, but I tend to like it.

That being said, I think I would still go for the GS65 even if it lacked a numpad, because I like it more than the Gs63 haha :p

6. Support.3@XOTIC PC

Support.3@XOTIC PC Company Representative

Reputations:

I've been using a shorty keyboard since my desk isn't wide enough to really have a full keyboard and mouse on it, doubt I'd notice. That said if someone uses numpad a lot I can see it being a problem.

7. ryzeki

ryzeki Moderator Moderator

Reputations:
    I use it about 30% of the time, but in that 30% of the usage, when I don't have it available, it can become very annoying haha. the only machine I have that does not have a numpad is a microsoft surface pro 2. And it gets on my nerves from time to time :)

But I know a lot of folk don't need it or use it, in that sense the GS65 makes sense perfectly.

8. clubnp

clubnp Newbie

Reputations:
    I generally won't be docking this laptop and will be using it's keyboard & track-pad most of the time. The GS65 felt really mushy compared to the 63 at BestBuy. One thing that concerned me is that BestBuy didn't have the 63 on and it wouldn't turn on, they didn't bother to move the counter to see if it was really plugged in. o_O

9. Support.1@XOTIC PC

Support.1@XOTIC PC Company Representative

Reputations:
    There could be a lot of different reasons why the 63 didn't /wouldn't turn on. I wouldn't let that deter you if that one seems like a better fit for you.

10. Mobius 1

Mobius 1 nͫiͤcͫeͤ

Reputations:
    never buy from best buy

you have resellers in NBR that don't charge tax and offer additional services that best buy can't ever offer