Best Alienware laptop for video editing?

Discussion in 'Alienware' started by Lambda808, Aug 20, 2019.

1. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Not necessarily a significant one, if they used the same heatsink to save cost. A quick look into service manuals should verify this, I'm relying on generally very accurate info from brother @Papusan that internals are the same.

The Aero was indeed my second choice. The missing amplifier port should be noted though, as is the lack of onsite support (in fact the Internet seems to agree that Gigabyte support is pretty bad), not to mention the idiotic Gigabyte warranty void if open sticker.

The G7 also lacks the AGA port, and also comes with worse screen and GPU options. Not sure if RAM isn't soldered in the G7 too (or could have been the XPS). The price difference between the G5 and the m15 seemed too small to justify the downgrade.

HTH

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2019
  2. Lambda808

Lambda808 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hey guys,
    Thanks so much for all your suggestions. I'm pulling the trigger soon on the Alienware M17. I'm looking at the $1550 build that comes with:

9th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-9750H
    NVIDIA® GeForce RTX™ 2060 6GB GDDR6 (OC Ready)
    16GB, 2x8GB, DDR4, 2666MHz
    256GB PCIe M.2 SSD + 1TB (+8GB SSHD) Hybrid Drive

Is there anything you guys suggest I absolutely should upgrade with Dell or move around?
    When going through the customization of that build they offer another 16GB of ram for $200 I believe. How much am I saving by buying that from some 3rd party place and installing myself? Also would it be much cheaper to buy a larger internal harddrive myself and install?

Let me know your thoughts on the CPU and GPU. Will these function well with programs like Adobe Premiere Pro, Davinci Resolve? My priority is definitely being able to edit 4K footage smoothly as this is what most of my clients have me doing. And second to that I'd love to be able to play some graphic intensive video games with solid settings and frame rates. Let me know your thoughts!

3. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Buy aftermarket SSD and RAM. Do check with @etern4l @Papusan and others to verify if Dell throttles GPU performance when CPU+GPU usage is above 95%. I've seen this artificial limit on XPS,Inspiron, HP Omen, Lenovo X1 etc...