Best Alienware laptop for video editing?

Discussion in 'Alienware' started by Lambda808, Aug 20, 2019.

1. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    You should steer clear of the m15/m17 R2 (soldered RAM). Look at m15/m17 R1 or maybe the A51M.

If you'd like more than 8GB RAM (you do want at least 16GB), and are not afraid to open up the laptop, you can order the cheapest 8GB build from Dell and go with an aftermarket memory kit called Hyperx Impact. It will probably be cheaper than getting 16GB (def 32GB) RAM from Dell and you stand to gain a bit of extra performance.

2. frankieo11

frankieo11 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Looking to buy a bag/case for my Area 51. Any recommendations?

3. pathfindercod

pathfindercod Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Wrong thread but AW sells 51m specific bags or Everki titan

4. Lambda808

Lambda808 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Thanks! So the advantage of going with the older models (R1) is that they have upgradable RAM where as the newer models (R2) are limited to 16GB of RAM correct?

How difficult would it be to install the aftermarket RAM myself? I used to open up my laptops all the time but it's been a while. Also how much would it cost to get me to 32GB of aftermarket RAM?
    And am I at any disadvantage with going with the newer (R2) models other than being stuck with limited RAM? I assume there must be some upgrades otherwise they wouldn't have released the newer series. Is there any differences as far as the physical size/weight of the laptops or anything else I should be aware of that I'd be missing out on?

5. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Installing memory in the R1 is quite simple, you just need a plastic shim to open the case (the entire bottom of the laptop needs to come off). You can look at the service manual on Dell website.

There are more disadvantages to the R2 actually, see here:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/alienware-m15-r2.829035/

Probably the #2 fail of that model after soldered RAM is the inverted motherboard design which would make any repasting very cumbersome, in contrast the R1 is very simple to service.

The main advantage would be the availability of an 8 core CPU for that model. I've only seen one user report and apparently that CPU performance was quite disappointing though.

6. Lambda808

Lambda808 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hmm very interesting.

Regarding the R1 versions, is there any difference at all with the 15in and 17in versions or it's literally just the size?

I still have my AW17 and m15x. They're both pretty junked but functioning. Does anyone happen to know if Dell takes them in? I'm trying to reduce cost of this new laptop as much as possible.

And this is probably a very dumb question, especially in this forum. But is there any other brands you guys recommend I check out that would be a good fit for my editing needs before pulling the trigger on this R1? As I mentioned earlier, I've been with Alienware for probably 8 years. I never really checked out other companies but a lot of time has passed. Is there any other companies that offer anything competitive as far as price point with no huge draw backs?

7. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    There are only drawbacks in latest soldered AW. Trade-in is often lower though!
    There are too many compromises in today's BGA which can't be compared to your older AWs.

etern4l likes this.
  8. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Disappointingly, it's literally just the screen/laptop size, not 100% sure but even the KB is probably the same.

9. Vingard

Vingard Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Surely there is a difference in thermal performance given the larger chassis of the m17.

10. Felix_Argyle

Felix_Argyle Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Gigabyte Aero is the best alternative. It is expensive but offers same display choices, same CPU choices and a good cooling.
    If you want to save some money - you can try Dell G7. It has same exact hardware as Alienware m15 and m17 models but slightly worse cooling system (no top air intake and slightly smaller side heatsinks) and has no second m.2 slot.