Best Alienware laptop for video editing?

Discussion in 'Alienware' started by Lambda808, Aug 20, 2019.

1. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Thanks, it turns out faster memory does speed things up in some cases.

The tinkering comments are completely irrelevant to the m15 which supports XMP and takes Hyperx Impact RAM like a champ, as evidenced by multiple users here.

Ultimately it's up to the OP whether they are happy to pay Dell more for clearly worse, not to mention soldered RAM, and forfeit potential upside / upgradeability.

I would expect gaming to be relatively least affected due to the expectation of effective optimisation and of course the offloading of computations to the GPU - no argument there.

2. custom90gt

custom90gt Doc Mod Super Moderator

Reputations:

Right, it does help in some rare cases. But that's going from 2666 CL19 to 3600 CL16. Going from 2666 CL19 to 2666 CL15 would yield much less spectacular results. 99.9% of users would never be able to tell a difference between the two, so I'm not sure how that's "clearly worse." The only real issue would be lack of capacity upgrades due to the soldered on components.

Vasudev likes this.
  3. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The specification is clearly worse.

You are highly unlikely to have the data in your disposal that would allow to accurately make a statement such as "99.9% of the users would not see a benefit".

To answer OPs question accurately we'd need to benchmark his use cases on specific hardware. The 9900K used in the Pudget piece has 16MB of cache vs 9MB in the 8750H, therefore will be less sensitive to RAM latency.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2019
  4. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    What @custom90gt said is true. For normal tasks even a worse or higher CL'ed RAM @2667MHz won't make a stellar performance impact unless you mainpulate heavy DBs in-memory or use spare RAM as RAM-disk for semi-persistent scratch space.
    If you have a non-tech savy family member and ask them how fast Chrome loads in your PC with 200 tabs open with 2 test case(s) say 2400MHz HyperX module and 2666MHz or higher module. They'll definitely say both launched at same time ignoring milli-second difference we noticed because *we* I mean you are the sole user of your machine and you know it better!

5. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    If you have a non-tech-savvy family member, a Surface, Yoga or a tablet will do, that's not the point.

6. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Yep even a 5 yr PC with enough RAM and SSD will do!

7. custom90gt

custom90gt Doc Mod Super Moderator

Reputations:
    You're right, it's anecdotal that 99.9% of people wouldn't notice a difference, but I've yet to see any evidence to the contrary. I've tested the 8750h with CL19 and CL15 and haven't seen any difference in a variety of test suites from gaming to encoding to system wide benchmarks, engineering software, and memory benchmarks. The only benefits that I've seen are on memory benchmarks.

The whole point of me derailing the poor OP's thread was that your 25% faster comment is not anywhere near accurate. I feel like that point has been made, so I'll let it be.

Papusan and Vasudev like this.
  8. ssj92

ssj92 Neutron Star

Reputations:
    I'd go with a Alienware Area-51m base model for $1,803.99: https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/gam...a51m-laptop/wnser7cr5101h?view=configurations

I recommend the 144Hz display if you will game. You can upgrade RAM, drives, CPU, and maybe one day GPU if ever needed.

I still have my Alienware M18xR2 and it can render @ 4.3Ghz non-stop full turbo all day long with good temps.

My Area-51m needs a -100mV but at stock speeds (9900K @ 4.7Ghz) it performs well in rendering as well. The 9700 in the base model should be able to render with a undervolt at full turbo all day long as well.

9. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The 25% improvement is indeed the theo max probably only reachable in memory benchmarks, my bad.

I have found this quite interesting:

https://www.techspot.com/article/1171-ddr4-4000-mhz-performance/

Note performance improvements almost across the board, including in gaming. Again, not the same hardware though (Skylake this time).

In summary, there is no good reason not to buy HyperX Impact memory instead of the more expensive and slower Dell one.

10. Lambda808

Lambda808 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Wow guys... I appreciate all the input. But to be honest, a lot of this is going over my head hahah. It's been a while since my "tech days".
    A small update is that I've taken quite a financial hit in the last few days so I'm looking to hopefully spend around $1500-$1700 now. Might be a little wiggle room. But anyway, I got a little confused in regards to all the RAM talk. Can anyone clarify if there's any models that I should really steer away from? Sorry for sounding so dumb, it's just a little confusing looking at alienwares latest setups. Used to be simpler back when I got my last 2 laptops. Still trying to figure this out and make a decision soon.