Best 2 in 1 laptop for 700$

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by kalochie, Jul 5, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kalochie

kalochie Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello.

I want to buy a laptop and I only have 700$.

I need 2 in 1 (360 hinge) laptop with:

1) FHD display with touchscreen which won't be laggy.
    2) from 13.3-15.6 inch display.
    3) at least core i5-6200u
    4) 8gb Ram
    5) 256 ssd hard drive

Which is most reliable laptop that you have used or which are the one's that I deffinetly shouldn't buy?

I have found several good looking laptops:
    Acer Aspire r14
    Toshiba satelite
    Lenovo Yoga 700

But all of them has bad reviews of build quality which is very important because I live abroad and won't be able to return the product. I am very confused and don't know what to do...

Thank you for your help and support.

2. Starlight5

Starlight5 W I N T E R B O R N

Reputations:
    @kalochie within this price range - it's either a business-class machine with previous-gen CPU, or some consumer device with poor build quality. I suggest you consider Fujitsu T935 and Thinkpad Yoga 12 if you can allow some compromise, rotating hinge in first case and 12.5" screen in second. These are business-class machines with way better build quality.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2016
    Kent T likes this.
  3. kalochie

kalochie Newbie

Reputations:
    what is the minimum amount of money and which laptop do you suggest that is best for minimal costs?

4. kalochie

kalochie Newbie

Reputations:
    just what is the best option that I have for 700$ ?

5. Starlight5

Reputations:
    @kalochie it depends, really. Your requirements are rather confusing. Why do you want i5-6200u, exactly? Will you be playing games? The reason I'm asking - CPU-wise it performs almost the same as older gen CPUs, namely slightly slower than i7-5500u, but GPU-wise it's faster. Fill in the form, and we will be able to aide you better.

I believe X220 tablet is the best value for money convertible, durable and reliable, dirty cheap to repair and easy to get parts for. But it has old full-voltage CPU - meaning it is on par with newer offerings CPU-wise, but lags behind them GPU-wise. Also, while display is great, it's HD not FHD - as on couple other otherwise decent business convertibles. I got mine for $220 including overseas shipping; decent 256GB SSD and 8GB RAM stick cost ~$85 together. If you just want a great convertible to work on, as cheap as possible, and can tolerate HD resolution - that's the way to go. But if you play games, this is really not an option.

Again, consider Thinkpad Yoga 12 (Broadwell), it is well within your budget and ticks all you initially mentioned except slightly smaller screen size. There's no big difference between 13.3" and 12.5", and it will save you both money and nerves compared to consumer machines, and even other business-class offerings. Lenovo Thinkpads are the easiest to service and cheaper to get parts for - even if something goes bad despite excellent build quality. The only problem with this machine - RAM is soldered, so you want be able to upgrade it, and 8GB is the limit.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2016
  6. kalochie

kalochie Newbie

Reputations:
    I don't plan on playing a lot but it should be able to run some pc games( like warface) with 25+ fps. The main thing that matters to me is that touchscreen mustn't lag on normal usage at least. And i intend to do some programming as well. I don't really need decent cpu but I want to buy best that I can get with the budget that I have. And also it should last at least 2 years.

7. kalochie

kalochie Newbie

Reputations:
    will I notice difference between hd and Full hd? I have read in some forums that usually build quality of hd screens are very bad.

8. Starlight5

Reputations:
    @kalochie Warface will run even on HD 3000 with 25+ fps. Most HD screens are crap indeed, quality-wise, but some IPS HD screens found on tablets are quite good. Less resolution means less workspace - but also machines with low-res screens, business-class included, are sold much cheaper.

A few other notable business-class convertibles which can be found cheap are Fujitsu T734 (got mine for $600 including shipping) and T902. T734 is the most upgradeable convertible tablet ever - even CPU can be replaced with i7 quad-core, and it's quite powerful with dual-core, runs GTA V thanks to HD4600 graphics - but has HD resolution display; T902 has 13.3" 1600x900 screen, but CPU is soldered and graphics are less powerful HD4000.

Regarding touchscreens - unlike newer machines with 10-point multi-touch,T902 & T734 included, X220 tablet has only 2-point. With proper drivers it emulates multi-touch and works just fine, but still I believe overall touch experience on newer machines is slightly better.

Then, there are Fujitsu T904/T935, which are considered somewhat less reliable and harder to find cheap, but come with higher-res screens. Still, these are business-class machines. However, getting parts for any Fujitsu is nowhere as cheap and easy as for Lenovo. Also, if you need wireless broadband, you should get machine with it right away, unlike Thinkpads which can usually be upgraded later.

You should also consider increasing your budget and importing latest 12.5" Thinkpad Yoga 12 (260), or 14" Thinkpad Yoga 14 (460) with 940M dGPU. Both are great machines, and more future-proof GPU-wise - especially the latter.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2016
    kalochie likes this.
  9. kalochie

kalochie Newbie

Reputations:
    Thank you for your reply and your support.

I think the best idea is to buy 2 in 1 laptop which has good screen and build quality, has bad specs but is upgradable. So which are the best laptops that fit into this requirements?

Sorry if I ask too much questions :D if I lived in US, I would be able to buy, test it and return if neccesary, but I live abroad and shipment will cost me a lot if I will try to return it.

Thank you again. I apreciate your support and kindness.

10. Starlight5

Reputations:
    @kalochie I also live outside US, so fully understand your problem. Both my convertibles come from US, btw. (=

Very cheap:
    X220 tablet - (upgradeable to) 16GB RAM, 2.5"+mSATA, HD3000, 12.5" 1366x768 - cheapest parts, especially batteries

Within your budget:
    T902 - 16GB RAM, 2x2.5"+mSATA, HD4000 13.3" 1600x900
    T734 - 12GB RAM, 2x2.5", upgradeable to i7 quad CPU; HD4600 graphics seem closer to HD5500 than to HD4400 performance 12.5" 1366x768
    TPY12 (Broadwell) - soldered RAM (8GB max), 2.5"+m.2, HD5500, 12.5" 1920x1080

Sometimes within your budget:
    T904 - 8GB RAM, 2.5", HD4400 13.3" 2560x1440
    T935 - 16GB RAM, 2.5", HD5500 13.3" 1920x1080 or 2560x1440

Above your budget:
    TPY12 260 (Skylake), T935 - 16GB, 2.5", GT520 12.5" 1920x1080
    TPY14 460 (Skylake) - 16GB, 2.5"+m.2, GT520/GT520+940M 14" 1920x1080 (2560x1440 available only without 940M)

2.5" SSDs are generally cheaper compared to other form-factors, especially 1TB drives
    mSATA are cheapest drives in 256GB capacity; adapter to put it in 2.5" slot costs $4
    m.2 are most expensive
    8GB DDR3L SO-DIMM stick costs $31 (China/HK, with shipping)
    256GB mSATA MLC SSD costs $54 (HK, with shipping)
    TPY12 260 uses more expensive DDR4 SO-DIMM, but it shouldn't be critical

CPU performance is pretty much the same on all machines, except T734 with i7 quad - but that configuration is very rare, so you'll have to upgrade it yourself if you decide to go that route; GPU performance varies, and TPY14 (460) with 940M beats everything in this area - but it is also the most expensive of the bunch. Battery life is also quite close; convertibles with full-voltage CPUs (X220 tablet, T902, T734) have high-capacity replaceable batteries, and additional battery options - X220 tablet can get a battery slice to almost double battery life, while T902/T734 can get a smaller second battery in modular bay (instead of second 2.5" storage).

All the convertibles mentioned have excellent build quality. However, T904/T935 hinge design is considered unfortunate.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2016
    deadsmiley likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.