Benchmarks are OK, But Sudden Drop in Gaming FPS

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by ronferri, Oct 31, 2017.

1. ronferri

ronferri Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I want to know what should be my strategy when communicating this to MSI RMA department.

Should I simply ask for a fix where they clean up the dust and reapply the thermal paste? What should be the IDLE temps in best conditions after repairs? Right now my Idle temps are mid-40s for CPU and GPU. It has always been like that since purchase.

Should I ask for a full return? an exchange?...

2. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Cleaning it up and repasting might take care of it. Should at least give it a shot. I doubt the CPU alone would cause huge drops in FPS, but it is possible the GPU is also having thermal throttling. Thermal throttling occurs at abnormally low temperatures with Pascal GPUs. If that doesn't help the problem, then you could return it.

3. ronferri

Reputations:
    Furmark bench results:

[​IMG]

Observations:
    -Under limits, I had Power:1, voltage:0, temp:0, OV:0 (does that mean i have power limitation?)
    -GPU Clock: stayed at ~1290Mhz whereas it does go up to 1900MHz in games as seen by MSI AB
    -Voltage: ~0.7V whereas it does go up to 1.05V in Games as seen by MSI AB
    -Temperature: 70C at the end, benchmark ended faster than I thought. Less than 5mins.
    -FPS: min 113, avg 119

Given all the above, does that mean I only have CPU thermal throttling and nothing wrong with the GPU? Except for that power limit observation in furmark?

Last edited: Nov 1, 2017
  4. ronferri

Reputations:
    Guys, from a technical perspective, something is not right. I understand that many of you are diagnosing this as thermal throttling which requires repasting the CPU\GPU and cleaning the fans but here's what is actually happening: (nvidia GTX1070, i7 6700HQ)

When I bring the fans up to max RPM using Cooler Boost, the CPU cores do not go beyond 69C and the GPU is stable at 63C. However, the games are not running at their max possible framerate like they used to and the framerate keeps fluctuating severely in the lower range (30 to 70 fps on old games that should ideally run at stable 90-100fps).

How do you explain that? Yes, thermal throttling is happening at normal fan mode, but not at max fan mode, yet the drop in framerate is still there. Even if I send it to MSI for repasting I do not think the problem will be solved. Yes I tried a clean install of many nvidia drivers including the one which was working fine all year long but that did not fix the problem. I can't find a reasonable explanation. And no it is not a creator's update issue because i was gaming fine after the update. This started to happen only 1 week ago.

5. ronferri

Reputations:
    Anyone can help me analyze these results from 3DMark?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 2, 2017
  6. ronferri

Reputations:
    UPDATE: Things are back to normal, framerates are restored to original high levels. Here's how:

1. I got sick of this laptop last morning because of all the inexplicable issues described in this thread.
    2. Decided to go for a walk, held SHIFT key+clicked on shutdown button in start menu
    3. Unplugged the laptop from AC power
    4. Plugged it back in 8 hours later, and all games run optimally again.

I changed absolutely nothing in software settings, drivers, and of course never opened the case.

What was that all about?!

hmscott likes this.
  7. HTWingNut

HTWingNut Moo

Reputations:
    Ghosts in the machine.

Vasudev and Papusan like this.
  8. Papusan

Papusan BGABOOKS = That sucks!! STAHP! Dont buy FILTH...

Reputations:
    Pressing the Shift key and the shutdown button tells the PC to do a full shutdown rather than a hybrid shutdow. Get rid of the Hybrid Junk aka Windoze Fast Boot. It’s trash and has screwed a lot of computer users. Today we use ssd’s. Not slow old spinning hdd’s for OS.
    I know... The pastel colored Tile Windoze Ghostware:D

Last edited: Nov 4, 2017
    HTWingNut and Vasudev like this.