Benchmarks are OK, But Sudden Drop in Gaming FPS

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by ronferri, Oct 31, 2017.

1. ronferri

ronferri Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    No I haven't and I will try system restore tomorrow morning :) Thank you, Fox. You make it sound easy :) Will report back once I am done.

If anyone has any ideas please share them with me and help me develop my investigation around the 6 points which I listed in the original post, or additional points which i might be unaware of regarding this problem. Quick summary of the problem:

A sudden, inexplicable drop in FPS down to unplayable levels in old games on a brand new laptop! All while clock and temperature readings are normal, and while benchmarks are perfect! It is very puzzling.

Could any of these "Potentially Unwanted Programs" detected by Malwarebytes be causing the problem?

PUP.Optional.Bytefence
    PUP.Optional.InstallCore
    PUP.Optional.Productsetup.A

Could it be a hardware malfunction in motherboard? But why is the problem only in games and not reproduced in stress tests and benchmarks?

Could it be a very well hidden cryptomining agent that is leaching my processing power?

Last edited: Oct 31, 2017
    infex and Mr. Fox like this.
  2. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    I see a lot of PerfCap Reason 16 in your log file, even when the GPU is trying to use boost clocks. Was the log file created running a game, or just working on the desktop? Might be relevant. And, it might be something that System Restore can correct if it involves corruption.

If System Restore does not help you can try running SFC /scannow as well.

https://forums.geforce.com/default/...16-quot-util-quot-while-actively-playing-gam/

https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/perfcap-reason.184859/

infex likes this.
  3. Danishblunt

Danishblunt Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Alright, can you take geforce experience, turn MSI afterburner on and record a gameplay footage of around 2-3mins? Something in your GPU-Z Log kinda throws me off guard and I don't know how I should take it.

4. ronferri

Reputations:
    Thank you gentlemen. Very insightful feedback from you.

In the log file, gaming is from 00:42:29 to 00:44:10. I do find that the GPU is limiting itself when I need more out of it. It never reaches 99% utilization like it should in some games. Overheating cant be the problem when it only reaches 80C max. I will try your suggestions in the next 12 hours.

Ok will do asap in the next 30mins.

5. ronferri

Reputations:
    I uploaded a short gaming session with temperature, fps, clock, and usage readings. Notice how the FPS keeps varying between 30fps and 70fps all the time, plus it never goes up to its normal levels which i used to experience between 80fps and 100fps. The corresponding GPU-Z logfile for this session is attached.
    Better quality video uploaded.

Attached Files:

6. HTWingNut

HTWingNut Moo

Reputations:
    Turn off Windows Game Mode and Windows Game DVR. That has caused headaches for many, including me. It is on by default and borked with the Windows Fall Creators Update.

7. ronferri

Reputations:
    HTWingNut, it means so much you passed by here :)

Unfortunately I already turned those off but they had no effect. My GPU is throttling, FPS is throttling at low ranges, no longer able to achieve maximum performance out of apps which I have used successfully all year. Temps seem fine though. The video above says it all. I am slowly heading towards a clean windows install which I am trying to avoid.

EDIT: When you lower all video setting to the lowest and the FPS does not improve and the GTX1070 keeps throttling, what does that mean? CPU bottleneck?

8. Danishblunt

Danishblunt Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    No, there is no bottleneck or such. There is something causing the GPU boost to act weird, probably software based. You have normal temps, no voltage or power limit issues, so it has to be something that either the games or your OS is doing, since the games ran already good, it's likely that it's somthing that your OS is doing right now.

I have an idea what might be causing your issue.
    Do this:
    - X + Windows button
    - System
    - On the left side Advanced system settings
    - Select the Advanced tab and then the Performance radio button
    - Select the Change box under Virtual memory
    - Un-check Automatically manage paging file size for all drives
    - Select No paging file, and click the Set button
    - Select OK to allow and restart.

Tell us how ur performance is now.

Also can you post a link of your 3dmark benchmark btw?

9. ronferri

Reputations:
    Thank you for your continuous support. I will check all the above and report back.

10. ronferri

Reputations:
    Gents,

During high load, HWinfo sensor's report shows CPU throttling during gaming (Core 0 and Core 1 at the bottom of the sensor screenshot). CPU Core temps go above 85C too. Does this explain the wild fluctuation in FPS in my previously uploaded gaming video? I am interested in your ideas for solutions: Is a simple dust cleaning and repaste enough? Or shall I just return the laptop? Because it is only 10 months old and this is a deal breaking problem that can keep on happening.

Will a clean format fix this? Unlikely right?

[​IMG]