Been antivirus free for a little while now

Discussion in 'Security and Anti-Virus Software' started by Hungry Man, Mar 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RainMotorsports

RainMotorsports Formerly ClutchX2

Reputations:
    UAC off makes it much easier for root level code to be executed. I write alot of software that requires elevation or uac off. Otherwise that could have been something else code runs in an isolated environment. UAC doesnt just protect users from themselves. If you know you didnt ask a process to run and are on a level of experience and understanding to pick out something you have never seen before it could be a damned life saver.

Mind you I also run UAC off as it is even more annoying on Vista and it messes with my debugger. I am also usually not to far off of a backup and always keep a drive imaged and ready to go.

2. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    FYI I've reformatted and put MSE on. It was a fun experiment but I'm only so willing. New hard drive so I don't feel like taking any chances.

I didn't get a virus the entire time I was without an antivirus. Not one that any scanner could pick up at least =p

3. arlcrane

arlcrane Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    It's always risky to take "Free" advice from "Experts".

4. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    arlcrane:

I'm not an expert. I seriously doubt I'd ever call myself an expert. I'm definitely experienced though.

And uhhhh I feel like I've said this enough times but I do not and would never advise ANYONE turn their antivirus off. Same goes for UAC.

The fact is I didn't get a virus the entire time, proving that you can protect your computer via other methods. AV's are the easiest but I think protection should be layered and my experiment proved to me that my layers were doing their jobs. The AV was unnecessary on my system.

I don't feel like changing anything with my pretty new HDD though so the AV is back on.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.