Battle of the 13-inch Lenovo Thinkpads

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by bobx3, May 28, 2021.

1. bobx3

bobx3 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi there!

I've been having the same Dell XPS 13 vs. Lenovo Thinkpad debate that many seem to have, but I'm leaning Thinkpad because of the quality control issues with Dell.

However, Lenovo currently offers 4 different 13 inch Thinkpad laptops.

Thinkpad X1 Nano (I'd get the $1,315 11th Gen i7 pre-built one)

Thinkpad L13 Yoga (Bestbuy has a 11th Gen i7, 16GB, 512 GB for $1,000)

Thinkpad X13 Yoga Gen 2 (I'd get the $1,481 11th Gen i5 pre-built one)

Thinkpad X13 Gen 2 (I'd get the $1,433 11th Gen i5 touchscreen one)

Can you all help me try to figure out which one fits my needs?

Thanks so much for your help!

Here's what I'm looking for:

Screen/Size: 13 inch touchscreen. I do not need 2-in-1 capability, but happy to have it.
    Processor: I'm not up to speed on current iterations, but I assume a 10th or 11th Gen i5 or i7 should be fine.
    RAM: 16 GB
    HD: 128-256 GB SSD
    Gaming: Light usage.
    Ports: Not picky, but need HDMI built in or USB HDMI compatible. Have mostly USB-A things, but ok with living the dongle life if need be.

Price: $1,000-1,500

Most important Traits: Durability, Longevity, Battery Life
    • I am clumsy and am known to drop my laptop on occasion, so durability is important to me.
    • I would also appreciate a laptop that can last more than 2.5 years, which my current Asus had difficulty doing.
    • Finally, I often spend anywhere from 4-8 hours away from home and would appreciate not having to carry my charger with me during the day

Mr. Fox likes this.
  2. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Choosing between the options you have outlined here, I think you are on the right track by leaning toward Lenovo and away from Dell. The only thing the XPS has going for it is aesthetic. They do make some very nice-looking systems that are built well on the outside, but there are too many issues relating to quality control, reliability, performance issues, and design flaws on the inside. It makes me sad to have to agree with you because I'd rather put my support behind a US-based/American-owned company like Dell rather than support a China-based company. (Yes, I know they are all made in China.)

Your needs are very different than mine and I would not be purchasing a product like this, but knowing that durability is important to you I would stick with a conventional chassis design rather than choosing a 2-in-1 convertible model. I think you are less likely to experience reliability and durability challenges with a conventional notebook chassis as long as it is well-built.

Last edited: May 28, 2021
  3. ZaZ

ZaZ Super Model Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Would suggest accidental warranty coverage.

Mr. Fox likes this.
  4. Charles P. Jefferies

Charles P. Jefferies Lead Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    The L-series ThinkPads are thicker/heavier than the X-series and not as durable since they are mostly plastic. The X-series uses more metal in its construction and typically gets better battery life.

The X-series is the flagship and will command a premium. The reviews are not thrilled with the keyboard on the X1 Nano, though I'm sure, being a ThinkPad, it's still decent.

I'd probably stick to a regular, non-convertible X-series given what you are looking for.

Charles

5. bobx3

bobx3 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks everyone for the reviews so far. I definitely will be getting the extra warranty with Lenovo.

It sounds like X1 Nano or the regular X13 Gen 2 seem to be the leading choices here considering the possible reliability/durability issues with the 2-in-1 design. This is helpful!

I hadn't heard about the keyboard issues with the Nano. Most of the reviews I read actually compared it favorably to the X1 Carbon keyboard. That's interesting.