Battery sloooooow charging.

Discussion in 'Acer' started by Lesl, Oct 19, 2020.

1. Lesl

Lesl Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I have a 18 months old Acer Aspire 3. I use the laptop unplugged and stop it when the battery meter indicate 21 % left . Now, I plug it and it charges the way it should for like 15 min. Then, the rate of charge drop to next to nothing and all in all, it takes 7 more hrs to get it fully charged. You will say...how do you know the charge works good for 15 min and then it drops ? Well, I live in a RV and the electricity I have comes from solar panels and an inverter. When something meaningful is plugged in the inverter, its fan works. When the charge needed is small. the fan doesn't work.So, the fan works for about 15 min and then it stops and it takes 7 more hrs to get the battery full charged. If during the charge you switch on the laptop, the fan does start right away. If you switch it off, the fan stops working not far later. Any ideas? P.S. I have Windows 10.

2. downloads

downloads Super Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
  3. Lesl

Lesl Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Here is the result...like Chinese to me.

Attached Files:

4. downloads

Reputations:
    There's nothing particularly suspicious here.
    What about a screenshot when the computer is charging - one when it appears to charge at a rapid pace and another one when it's seemingly slow?

When was the last time you discharged the battery fully?

5. Lesl

Lesl Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    We!!...the laptop shut off by itselft after reaching 16% so that's the maximum drain you can do. This morning, I did plug it in and after 20 min ( The inverter's fan running) I did the battery scan again ( picture battery 2 ) 5 min later, the inverter's fan did stop running so I did another scan ( picture battery 3 ). Yesterday ,I did test my 2 laptop battery chargers and they both had 19.4 volts out.

Attached Files:

6. downloads

Reputations:
    By fully discharging the battery you have re-calibrated the battery-meter which is why battery health decreased from 77% in the first screenshot to 59% in the subsequent ones.

As you can see your hunch was correct - initially the battery was being charged at 19,8W (screen 2) and subsequently it slowed down to barely 1.5W with 50% of the capacity yet to be charged.

I would guess that the battery should be replaced. I've noticed that batteries that are old and id bad condition tend to charge very slowly.
    PSU must be OK considering the fact that it does charge OK at first.

7. Lesl

Lesl Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    The laptop is only 18 months old. In the past, I had problems with old battery but they were 4-5 years old ...and the problem always was the battery would last for only a short time. This battery is not removable. Would this be covered by the warranty ?

8. downloads

Reputations:
    After 18 months probably not - warranty for battery is usually 6 months.
    Although if it's only 18 months old its battery is in a surprisingly bad nick - as you can see it only has 59% of its original capacity - for a laptop that young that is a really bad result.

Can you try to fully discharge it once again? BTW you should not do that often - it's bad for the battery but this is a situation where we wanna be sure what the actual capacity is.

9. Lesl

Lesl Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    How do you explain it went from 65.6 in the first scan to 59 in the last 2?

10. downloads

Reputations:
    In reality it didn't - it was already at 59% at that point but the only way for the battery to "realize" that is for you to discharge the battery fully (until it switches off) and then charge it fully.

This is when the chip inside the battery adjusts the numbers of what it considers full capacity at this point.
    The battery gradually loses its capacity and it has to adjust for that - 100% capacity of a new battery is not the same as 100% of 2 year old battery.

So what happened is that the notebook switched off while still showing 16% - and smart battery adjusted for that realizing that this capacity is already lost.
    It's also important to fully charge the battery after it's been fully discharged - this also helps smart battery to adjust.

Sometimes battery considers some capacity lost whereas in reality it's still there - when this happens you see a notebook showing 0% battery still working.
    In a situation like that once you fully discharge the battery and the fully charge it, the software i linked to will at some point show something like 105% capacity and then it will recalculate and consider it to be 100% and battery capacity will go up.