Battery question

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by creamsoda, Jan 9, 2018.

1. creamsoda

creamsoda Newbie

Reputations:
    I don't know if this goes here, but I just have a battery question.

I heard a long time ago that it is not healthy to cycle batteries (charging) them too often, but I heard that that is not the case any more with new batteries. Is that true?

I'm looking to get a notebook and I might want to take it with me on occasion, so, I'd just like to know.

Thanks!

2. Danishblunt

Danishblunt Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Cycles have less to do with it, it's more about the temperature and how you treat your battery. When leaving the battery charging the whole time it will damage the battery over time, same goesfor when you have an empty battery not charging for a while. It seems that leaving a battery empty for a while damages it faster than leaving it plugged in.

So far I charge my battery on my old Clevo P157sm (from 2013 with original battery) daily becase I use the battery a lot and I still have 92% capacity left. So don't leave your notebook emtpy or low on battery, always charge to max then leave it in ur bag / desk, that way you battery will also have a long life.

Vasudev likes this.
  3. creamsoda

creamsoda Newbie

Reputations:
    Ok, thank you.

So does that mean, that as long as you keep it above 50%, it should stay healthy longer?

4. Danishblunt

Danishblunt Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    It's the best when you can discharge it to near 10%ish and then charge it back to 100%, but never let it stay at low % for long.

5. Panzer4

Panzer4 Newbie

Reputations:
    Lithium ion batteries last the longest when they are kept 50-80% charged, and discharged to 10-20%. Obviously, cutting off 30-40% of your battery charge is impractical, so just don't worry about it for the most part, Batteries are very durable nowardays.

6. John Ratsey

John Ratsey Moderately inquisitive Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Plug the computer into the mains and leave it plugged in. The battery will charge to 100% and then stop charging. Slowly (over days/weeks) the charge will drop and then there will be a small top-up charge back to 100% (the threshold for this is typically 95% but varies between the manufacturers). Some manufacturers offer custom charging rules such as limiting the maximum charge to 80% and don't top up until the charge drops to, say, 60%. If you have a notebook with that facility then it's easy to put the maximum charge up to 100% in readiness for a session away from the mains.

John