Battery Question :3

Discussion in 'Motorized Vehicles' started by Angelic, Feb 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Angelic

Angelic Kickin' back :3

Reputations:
    Is it true that a car needs to be started up frequently when it's below freezing out? Our truck had trouble starting up this morning, it like wouldn't turn over. The battery seems to be dead, we haven't run the thing since October. :p

My Mom's trying to find the jumper cables lol....we can't find them...

2. moral hazard

moral hazard Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Push start?

Is it manual?

3. DR650SE

DR650SE The Whiskey Barracuda

Reputations:
    How old is the battery? If it's an old battery then it may not have enough cold cranking amps. They should be changes something like every 5 years. The reason being because the cold reduces the strenth of the battery by hindering the chemical reactions producing fewer electrons=weak battery. Or Oil is cold in the engine block making it harder for the engine to turn over, and because the gas evaporates slower in cold weather making it harder to ignite. My guess is a weak battery, but it depends on the history of the truck. Of course it could be an alternator issue not charging the battery. Or it could be a cold start injector/valve problem

I had to keep a heater lamp on overnight in my old Chevy truck to get it to start the next day.

But to answer your question, no it's not true, if you have a good battery. The only purpose of starting it up would be to keep it warm so that the battery doesn't need as many cold crank amps. You'd have to start it every hour it it were the case

My guess is once you get it started you'll be fine, battery probably lost it's charge just sitting without activity, which is common for long bouts of inactivity.

4. millermagic

millermagic Rockin the pinktop

Reputations:
    Sitting for weeks isn't good for a vehicle, even worse months!

It's a good idea to start it and let it run every few weeks for an hour or so anyway.

5. Angelic

Reputations:
    My Mom's making my little brother shovel out to the shed to see if the jumper cables are in there. We'll see if we can get the truck started or not. *crosses fingers*

Yeah, we don't use this truck very often lol. Horrible on the gas mileage. So the cold can affect it starting up? And how long it sits there? Ok, good to know. :3

Oh, it's a manual....does that matter?

6. millermagic

millermagic Rockin the pinktop

Reputations:
    When it's cold out, the battery is going to have reduced capacity in addition to any drains. Also,when it's cold out the oil gets thicker making it harder to start.

7. DR650SE

DR650SE The Whiskey Barracuda

Reputations:
    You should probably start it once a month at least and run it for 15 min. or so.

Being a manual doesn't really matter. But the advantage of a manual is you can put it in gear, push in the clutch, then push the truck down a hill or down the street, and then pop the clutch, and press it back in and the truck will start. Normally in 1st or 2nd gear or what ever gear. I suggest if you must do it, get in the truck and have your bro push ;)

And yes the cold does affect it. Mostly because the severe weather is hard on the battery. Requires more cold cranking amps and all that jazz

8. Angelic

Reputations:
    Ok, I think I get it now, thanks *gear heads*. :p
    Found those jump cable things in the shed...got it running...barely..lol.

9. Muscle Master

Muscle Master Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    If you have a volt meter handy ...

I believe that if the battery is under 11.6 volts it is considered dead

10. K-TRON

K-TRON Hi, I'm Jimmy Diesel ^_^

Reputations:
    There are two solutions which can prevent this from happening in the future:
    1) park the vehicle you use most inside your garage,
    2) buy a block heater, or buy a space heater. It will consume a lot of electricity, but it will warm up the entire front engine compartment, warming the oil, rings, and the whole engine. This will simulate summer time startup. It will fire up before killing the batteries.

Good Luck, and always keep the jumper cables in the back of the car or under the seat. They will come in handy.

K-TRON

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.