1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

Battery not present

Discussion in 'Sony' started by tomp, Jun 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tomp

tomp Newbie

Reputations:
    I have a Sony SZ160P/C. The computer is working fine on AC power, but will not run off battery. When I am on AC power I go to Control Panel/Power Options/Power Meter and it indicates that no battery is present. I have tried reseating the battery many times with no luck. I called Sony and they said to reset the BIOS back to the defaults and I which I did and still no luck. Now they want me to send it to San Diego for service.

Has anyone else had this problem or have any suggestions that I might try. The computer is 3 months old and the battery was working fine a few days ago, The only software update I did was download the Nvidia driver update from the Sony site a in the past week.

I appreciate any input on this!

2. Amol

Amol APH! NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    Try cleaning the contacts. I know it sounds silly, but it's the most basic-est of things you can do. It's a starting point. Also check if the battery is all the way in and locked.

3. Jason_Thames

Jason_Thames Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    As of yesterday at work... My SZ120 is doing the exact same thing. This notebook is 3 months old and for whatever reason my SZ can't see my battery any longer. I have checked to make sure that the SZ is still powering the battery connection pins with a multi-meter and indeed it is. So... if my notebook is properly applying power to charge the battery... and the battery worked fine all this time... is it possible for a li-ion battery to just "die" like this. I am stumped and I really don't want to send the notebook to sony if there batteries are just prone to failure sometimes. Thanks in advance for ay ideas.

-Jason

4. neilk2350

neilk2350 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    do a search there is another thread and a solution of some kind

5. mach_zero

mach_zero Casual Observer NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    I also had this same thing happen to me a while back and I never did find a definitive solution. Only after reseating and powering down/restarting the notebook countless times did it finally recognize it again. Very frustrating.

6. Jason_Thames

Reputations:
    I just don't get it. I can't understand why the battery would just stop being recognized... out of the blue? I am going to try to go by Best Buy tomorrow and see if they will let me put the battery from there floor model in my notebook. If THAT battery will charge, at least we will know semi-for sure that this issue is indeed battery related. WIERD?

-Jason

7. Roastbeef

Roastbeef Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I usually use my SZ-160 either docked at the office or at home, and only run on battery power a couple of times a week. Last night I tried to turn on the system with the battery and got *nothing*... not even a little blip. Dug out my AC adapter and the battery charge LED doesn't light, but if I press the power button it fires right up. The XP power dialog reports battery power remaining as "Unknown" and battery #1 as "Not Present".

Removing the battery and reseating it makes no difference. Has anybody seen this problem?
    -Rob

8. Greg

Greg Super Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    While I do not have a Sony laptop, I'm going to spit out a suggestion or two:

1) Make sure you fully charge the battery (though I'm assuming it was since you leave it plugged in all the time).
    2) Wiggle the battery a little (if you can) when inserting it into the notebook. I've heard that (and correct me if I'm wrong) that some models have loose batteries.

It's possible that either the battery is loose enough (or damaged enough) that it isn't making contact, or the contacts on you motherboard are damaged. Do you have a friend with an identical battery? If so, try theirs out and see if the problem still exists.

9. djpark88

djpark88 Newbie

Reputations:
    Yup, i have the exact same problem, battery not present, no power from the battery, led doesn't light up. Tried reseating, but doesn't work.

10. pwaggs

pwaggs Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Are either of you geting any sort of pop up window about a bad or incompatable battery? I know that has been addressed on this forumn. Do a search for battery issues. You will get a lot, just weed through the exploding batteries and you should get some missing battery posts.

11. Jason_Thames

Reputations:
    I have the EXACT same problem. I have had this issue for about 2 months now. It forced me to purchase a new extended battery (which I wanted to get anyway...) early. I am convinced that some batteries that are shipping with the SZ are defective as I have heard of at least 5 other people that have dealt with this issue. One morning I tried to power on my SZ, and it would not start! I plug-in the AC adapter and it boots right up. It is as if the SZ does not realize that my standard battery is present even when removed and reseated many times. The extended battery has worked fine, BTW, ever since I received it. Also, I took my (Standard) battery up to our local Best Buy to try and see if another SZ would react the same way with this unit. The result: the floor model at Best Buy could not see the Standard battery that shipped with my SZ either. I really wish Sony would have stepped up and fixed this. Good luck either way.

Regards,

-Jason

12. aleck

aleck Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Have the same problem, as written here. Not resolved since and Sony UK support, after few attempts and advises got silent. I'm waiting until I return to UK to go and ask for an exchange, because the battery is gone, I'm certain.

I left it in the closet while working on AC power for several days and then when I brought my laptop to office I got the battery as well, just for kicks, to try it out again. To my amazement, laptop recognized the battery as the light indicator started to blink. However, it never got past 0% charge, nor it is getting warm at all. The Windows XP displays is as charging, but the icon in Power Meter has big red X over it, then blue lightning over that.
    *, after just 4 months since bought. Really undermines the trust in Sony.

13. amir_ammiir

amir_ammiir Newbie

Reputations:
    tomp and jason:

i have exactly the same problem.. this is an absolutely new SZ and i have used it for just around 3 months... i am in denmark these days.. where sony doesnt sell laptops (i bought the laptop outside denmark) and so doesnt provide service either ... so basically its murphy's law at its best..(surprise surprise!)
    i tried resetting the bios (which i did).. but that doesnt help at all.. i had my doubts about that anyway.. since i didnt do anything that would change the bios settings:S....
    anyway.. havent been able to figure out a solution.. have u guys come across anything useful?..please do let me know if u do..

14. Donzuro

Donzuro Newbie

Reputations:
    I have the same problem with my VGN-TX17GP.
    I bought it in Bangkok, where lived for one year.
    I bought it after a few months and now I am back already 3 months the battery stopped working.
    It was working one week for that, for sure.
    Now it looks like broke or something.
    Not Present is what it says.
    I read not everything in this site, but there was one thing that occured to me. A few complaints where about people who took it on a trip to another country with another climate.
    I heard a guy who was in Serbia and something about a Denish guy.
    I welcome everybody who is or has been in another county then where he or she bougt her VAIO to share problems like this.

15. chrisyano

chrisyano Hall Monitor NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
  16. Mayur99

Mayur99 Newbie

Reputations:
    I too have a similar problem - but Sony Support in the UK seem to be very slow at reacting to the problem - even after upgrading my cover for 3 years - and the SZ is onl;y 7 months old. Just for info this happened on 28/12/06.

Never had such a problem using a SAMSUNG for 4 years.

Awaiting reply from Sony Support:mad:

Keep you posted as the story pans out.

--ATB Mayur

17. chrisyano

Reputations:
    I think calling is the way to go. I think you get faster response and action that way.

18. BaNZ

BaNZ Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    We got 3 yr onsite business support on all our sony laptop. Had about 10+ calls logged with sony for the past few months. Only one was solved under a month. Rest were solved 1+ months. So much for the next business day support.

Spoke to their regional manager in uk, they said the call centre is in Belgium. The people on the phone are all non tecnical too. But there is a business / corporate support line, just I need to register before I can use that. So the calls will be route to 2nd tech support instead of the 1st line non tech guys. Tired of them asking questions like have you update your drivers etc when there is a clear problem with the lcd inverter.

This post just reminded me that my SZ might have a similar problem. Usually I don't leave my battery in. Its always on AC supply, yesterday I wanted to move around so I plugged my batter in and took the AC supply off. Straight away the laptop went off. Was really strange, I've done that so many times and that never happened. At the time I didn't pay too much attention as I thought I probably didn't seat the battery properly. But after reading this post I hope I don't get this problem.

19. Mayur99

Mayur99 Newbie

Reputations:
    Have a regional manager allocated to the company but he never returns any calls - once they get the order from my organization they take the money and just run.

Thinking of telling the company to stop buying SONY as their service virtually non-existent.

Still waiting to hear from them.

20. chrisyano

Reputations:
    That's truly a shame. Customer service is such a vital part of business. It really is a shame that not enough companies embrace that simple fact.

I'm sorry to hear about your regional manager. Is there any way to escalate your issues above him to comment about his unavailability?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.