Battery Life Question on Razer Blade 14 (2014)

Discussion in 'Razer' started by mattscool135, May 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mattscool135

mattscool135 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    cool. I might pull the trigger on getting this laptop then, the MS store offers a nice discount to college students and offer a really good protection plan. When you guys use it on your desks, do you elevate it or put it on a cooling pad at all?

2. michaelnesodden

michaelnesodden Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    When I¨m charging my battery says "99%, not charging". Is this normal? It charges after I've unplugged and the battery is below 95%.

3. Soggygravy

Soggygravy Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Matt, it does not seem to need any elevated surface but it wouldn't hurt as the unit does run hot when gaming, nothing id feel required a pad but if your gonna get one for using in bed etc... Then it'll help other places too

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

4. Porter

Porter Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    That is totally normal, its actually preferred that way for these batteries. The worst thing you can do is constantly trickle charge it at 100%. I think from about 95-100 it may be not charging at certain times. I'm not exactly sure how the charging circuit decides this but I've seen it on many laptops and never had an issue.

5. michaelnesodden

michaelnesodden Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Ah, ok :) Now it's at 100% and the battery icon is green. Should I unplugg? Is performace better with the AC plugged in? (been reading when unplugged is 2D mode or something)

6. Porter

Porter Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I would not game unplugged under normal conditions, even if you do it will generally be a very short session. From my experiments it does work very well on battery and gave me the same performance as plugged in, if I set it up for that. The issue it is will reduce your battery run time and realistically I will never NEED to game that 1 hour on battery anyway. Battery time for me is more like surfing and office tasks so I purposefully set mine up to save energy and extend run time, I do this on every laptop since that is what is important to me when on battery.

Everyone will have their own battery usage and recommendations. Personally, what I do is plug everything (laptop, LCD, speakers etc) into a switched power strip and turn it off at the end of the day so it's not sitting there plugged in all night long and through the day while I am at work. Then I try to run down the battery partially about once a month if I hadn't already done it recently in normal use. If I am thinking the battery needs it I will do a more complete run down but I don't do that often.

7. bhc72

bhc72 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I bought a cooler master cooling pad to go with mine and find that it makes about 5-7c difference in temperature. Nothing to write home about to I usually just game without the pad now. Its a inconvenience really to have to hook it up, listen to its loud fans and makes the computer feel a lot more delicate. I prefer to just game away with it flat on a table. It does just fine.

8. mattscool135

mattscool135 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Just another quick question. So I saw here that some people reported roughly 6 hours battery life (obviously with the brightness turned down and on the power saver power mode. did that time involve using wifi at all? Like, if i turned the brightness down and put the pc in power saver mode, AND turned off the wifi, would it last longer?

9. bsd107

bsd107 Newbie

Reputations:
    I only got my Razer Blade 14 (2014) less than a week ago, and I love it. I am only just starting portable use of it.

In terms of "ultrabook" use and hauling it around to and from classes, consider this to be the size and weight of a MacBook Pro. I don't know if that qualifies as Ultrabook or not, but it's not MacBook Air size/weight.

While I love this thing, and have no issues with the high rez touchscreen, which is EXCELLENT, I don't know that the battery life is what you are looking for.

Based on my limited experience, it may be possible to stretch to 5 hours using the HD4600 graphics, running in Power Saver profile, etc., I am not sure you'd be comfortable with it. I am one of those people who hates being away from AC for too long. Not that I run out of battery, but I spend a lot of time worrying about how quickly I am chewing up the battery.

You might be able to have it last the 5 hours you need for the days of long classes, but you might have to be constantly managing the battery, and you might not always make it.

Personally, if I needed 5 actual hours of battery life, I'd be looking for something with 7-9 hours of rated battery life..

Having said that, I love this machine....

10. ryajso

ryajso Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    The 2013 model was rated 6 but I could get up to 7 and a half frugal, 6.5 to 7 normal, 2014 model same settings gets 5hours, rarely 6.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.