Battery Life Question on Razer Blade 14 (2014)

Discussion in 'Razer' started by mattscool135, May 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mattscool135

mattscool135 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi guys, I am looking to purchase a Razer Blade 14 (2014). I am in college right now and currently I have a very large and bulky Alienware M17X R2 that mainly sits on my desk and I had a smaller netbook I use to bring to and from class.

I was hoping that purchasing the Razer Blade would replace both my bulky M17x and my cheap little netbook. But, I am concerned about how long the battery will last. Occasionally I have 5 hour blocks of classes. I have read conflicting reports on the battery life of the Blade. Does the blade have an integrated GPU in addition to the Geforce 870m? And on integrated graphics, with the brightness turned down, how long could the Razer blade last? (with and without wifi?)

Just to give you an idea of what i would be doing it, I would be taking notes in Word or OneNote, and maybe occasionally browsing the internet for Journal articles or legal briefs.

Thanks guys -- The blade looks awesome but for such a premium price I dont want to get burned on the battery life.

2. bhc72

bhc72 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I have heard that the battery life is down vs the previous gen but I have no experience with the 2013 blade. The 2014 blade has integrated Intel graphics (4600) in addition to the dedicated gpu. The battery life feels very similar to my 2010 MacBook pro

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

3. Tech17

Tech17 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hi! I had the 2013 blade and now the 2014. On the intel GPU, they are about the same; I don't think you'll have issues with 5 hours of classes. If gaming on battery like I do, there is a major difference on the Nvidia GPU. 2013 I could get 2 hours on my game before battery is critical, I get one hour now on the same game,but a lot of the extra processing is keeping up with native 1800p resolution vs. 900p on the 2013.

4. mattscool135

Reputations:
    Yea i dont think I will be doing any gaming on the battery, I was just looking to do the school work I need to do on the battery. Does anyone have any real world experience where they had to try and make the laptop last a while or anything like that. I assume that a Haswell CPU/GPU should be able to stretch the battery life pretty far when the screen brightness is turned down and wifi use is at a miniumum

5. YodaGoneMad

YodaGoneMad Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Mine seems to easily last 4-6 hours and I keep the brightness at max most of the time. Just today I watched a video for about 2 hours, put it to sleep and came to work then used it until around 11:30 before charging. There was some off and on when I would lock it and the screen would go off but I was not trying to preserve the battery and it lasted well over 6 hours with 10 percent left. I would say if you used it constantly 5 hours would be a safe bet and with effort 6 hours should be possible.

6. bhc72

Reputations:
    Interesting fact and I wonder if anyone else has similar experience:

When putting my 2014 Blade to sleep it loses about 5% of battery power in sleep mode every 12 hours. Can anyone else reference their % loss while in sleep mode to compare?

Thanks

7. Porter

Porter Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I'm pretty sure that is due ot the Windows 8 hybrid shutdown which doesn't truly shutdown your PC all the way. Here is the solution I chose. I like it because I can choose to use the faster shutdown and startup or do a full shutdown easily without having to mess with settings each time.

How to Do a Full Shutdown in Windows 8 Without Disabling Hybrid Boot

8. mattscool135

Reputations:
    are you guys all happy with your blades? i.e, would you recommend it for me to buy? Does the heat get to be too much or bothersome (i will be playing games at my desk and no where else) but i will be using the intel GPU for most other work both at home and at college

9. Soggygravy

Soggygravy Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    If you use it in bed or in your lap you need a pad or something to elevate it. Otherwise it's a non issue in my experience

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

10. bhc72

Reputations:
    I am extremely happy with my purchase. Wonderful laptop for work and play. Just pay respect to it while playing by ensuring it's in a thermally sound environment (on a table with room to breathe)

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.