1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

Barnes and Noble Gold Discount

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by MrSatan, Jun 30, 2012.

1. MrSatan

MrSatan Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Is the Barnes and Noble Gold Discount always 25%? It says the offer is until july 1st but is there going to be a new 25% coupon next week or something?

2. pepper_john

pepper_john Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    No, can be just 10%

3. susanwrites

susanwrites Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Any idea how often that discount updates? I'm trying to decide when to pull the trigger.

4. XX55XX

XX55XX Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    That discount is always around. Just keep an open eye on it when it comes up.

5. Jarhead

Jarhead Luigi #1

Reputations:
    You can combine the Barnes and Noble discount if you haggle over the phone. I was able to use BN, the 10% email discount, and some small talk to get 24% off of my W520 brand-new.

6. slapshot30

slapshot30 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    What's the email discount? Is that the one where you sign up to let them send you offers and such? It wouldn't let me combine that and the BN one, it says in the fine print too. Maybe it was different back then though.

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

7. Jarhead

Jarhead Luigi #1

Reputations:
    No, it was the same back then too. "Use this 10% email promotion on your *next* Lenovo purchase." Even though you can't really combine them, if you haggle enough over the phone you'll be able to.

The key is to eat the sales agent's time, I suppose. Took 90 minutes total to order my laptop, and I only paid $1665 for a $2167 system.

8. slapshot30

Reputations:
    Interesting... Never really haggled before. What in the world do you talk about for 90 minutes? Is it really just convincing them to lower the price the whole time, talking like you could go with another brand, etc?

9. Jarhead

Jarhead Luigi #1

Reputations:
    Basically started off telling him my situation (rising engineering student, needed a powerful laptop). Pointed him to the configuration I had online and I low-balled for $1400 (was hoping for $1600-1700 realistically). Followed the tips from DR650SE's haggling guide (in my sig) and the agent would sometimes go back and forward with "his managers". When they were thinking, I'd small talk with him, talking about whatever (started off with the NC tornadoes from last year, relevant since the call center is in Raleigh). Tried getting a free dock as well, though it wasn't working, so I "settled" for the $1665.

10. QuantumMech

QuantumMech Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I think it just got re-applied. I got approximately 45% off the W530 ($747) using B&N Gold + the Current Discount + a 15% off email I had languishing in my inbox. The rep told me to get it last week for $330 more, so I'm glad I waited.

11. hotsauce

hotsauce Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    You were able to combine the discounts? Hmm...

I swear Lenovo's pricing is worse than haggling with a used car dealer.

12. Aniras

Aniras Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Could you use the email code on the B&N Gold site, or did you have to call them? How do you get on the list for the email codes? Sounds like a pretty good deal--I had no idea you could use email codes with the B&N site. Thanks.

13. QuantumMech

QuantumMech Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I signed up for: Communication Preferences | Lenovo | (US)

Went to the B&N site, applied the coupon code there, and then added the coupon code from the email (it was 15% a couple of weeks ago, I think it's a 10% discount now).

For what it's worth, my rep did say that the B&N discount was cheaper than his employee discount, and "the manager" wouldn't negotiate on pricing.

14. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope.

Reputations:
    B&N is having some great deals on the X220 as well. You can pick up an I3 with IPS panel, bluetooth and a camera for $680.:eek: If you can add one of those email discounts, you can get it down to ~ $600. Wow. Shame I'm not in the market ATM or I would jump on one of these.

15. slapshot30

Reputations:
    That's really odd. I signed up for that as well and it wouldn't let me apply both... :confused:

16. galin

galin Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    For people who are waiting to order a W530, the BN Gold program discount is currently 25% (e-coupon USXWEEK0705 through 07/11). The deal can be combined with the additional e-mail coupon code you may have received (mine is an additional 15% off when I first signed up). I have just completed the following order:

• Intel Core i7-3720QM Processor (6M Cache, up to 3.60 GHz)
    • Genuine Windows 7 Professional (64 bit)
    • 15.6" FHD (1920 x 1080) LED Backlit AntiGlare Display, Mobile Broadband Ready
    • NVIDIA Quadro K2000M Graphics with 2GB DDR3 Memory
    • 4 GB PC3-12800 DDR3 (1 DIMM)
    • UltraNav with Fingerprint Reader
    • 320GB Hard Disk Drive, 7200rpm
    • DVD Recordable
    • 9 Cell Li-Ion TWL 70++
    • Bluetooth 4.0 with Antenna
    • Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300 AGN
    • Mobile Broadband upgradable
    • 1 Year Depot/Express Warranty
    • 3Yr Base Warranty Extension

Total Price including tax and CA recycling fee: $1291.57

IMHO, this is the best W530 price I've seen to date.

17. slapshot30

Reputations:
    Holy moly, just noticed this too!!!! When did you sign up for the e-mail offer though? I did a few days ago and it's only 10% off, and won't let me combine. :(

Any particular reason you upgraded to the 3720 i7?

18. Jarhead

Jarhead Luigi #1

Reputations:
    Holy crap, which I could have taken 40% off my laptop! Oh well :/

Right now I'm playing with the W530 and so far it's a nice laptop. Still not sure if I like where Lenovo is going with the keyboard though.

19. Aniras

Aniras Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    How long does it take the coupon to come? I signed up earlier today, but I haven't received anything yet--not even a confirmation that I signed up. (I'm really hoping for a coupon...)

20. galin

galin Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I signed up for the e-mail about a week and half ago...guess I got lucky.

I didn't really "upgrade" to 3720, as it is part of the base configuration. In order to pick 3610 i7 I believe you have to choose the cheaper base configuration, and you'll discover that the price difference between 3610 and 3720 is only $80 (this is only true for Lenovo).