Barebones Clevo P870DM based.

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by user54321, Jul 9, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. user54321

user54321 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Hi, going to buy a laptop soon, but just got some questions if you don't mind. As I know only Eurocom (and Origin maybe) has option with 4K display and GTX 980M SLI, anyway I'd like to find out what's better for me.

1. What difference between FHD and 4K displays of this model? Can you tell the name of those screens? How about battery life with each of the display, what's better? I know FHD has G-sync, that uses only main card instead of Intel's one, that probably means less battery life.

2. Now graphics cards. I've heard about some troubles with drives for SLI - is that true? Any other issues about SLI I should know? It is overclockable like GTX 980 or not? I guess, as 2 cards take more space inside, then it's gonna use more power and gonna be more hot, right? And again, how about battery life?

3. Does it worth to pay 1000$ more for Sky X9E. that has BIOS for overclocking or better to buy X9 and update BIOS firmware by myself? And actually which one is better or/and has worldwide warranty - Clevo, Sager, Eurocom, Origin, Schenker and others?

Thanks for answering on my stupid questions.

2. Mobius 1

Mobius 1 Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    I'd recommend FHD, and buying an external 4k display, the internal 4k is not worth the money

I'd recommend 980 desktop "mobility" for less hassle, though with 2x980M + overclock, you can outperform the 980 desktop if the games don't have sli issues

call or email hidevolution and pricematch to xotic/rjtech for lowest price

ask if you can not include the intel 8260, because that's less than 20$ on ebay
    6700k, buy from micro center/frys etc and pricematch

the x9e unlock is only prema bios, you also get this unlock when buying from hidevolution

Spartan@HIDevolution likes this.
  3. Spartan@HIDevolution

Spartan@HIDevolution Company Representative

Reputations:
    EVOC P870DM-G Gaming Laptop

4. user54321

user54321 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    HIDevolution has with Prema BIOS for ~2500$, but there is no 256Gb SSD, only 1Tb HDD and 8Gb RAM instead 16Gb. If you buy laptop without CPU and other parts and these parts you'll buy separately, then you can lose waranty cause you need to open the laptop, right? And what if you want to clean it from dust, you'll also lose waranty?

5. Kana Chan

Kana Chan Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Get the FHD panel + external 4K since it'll cost just as much anyways. The 4K is another +600 USD ( which you can get a 4K monitor for about 700-800 USD )
    980 would be less hassle than 2x980M

6. Spartan@HIDevolution

Spartan@HIDevolution Company Representative

Reputations:
    you don't lost warranty if you open a Clevo laptop. This is not Acer or ASUS. This is an enthusiast grade laptop.

I changed my CPU RAM, SSDs, and HDDs, and have opened the laptop over 30 times and repasted the CPU and GPU with new thermal paste, and I also upgraded my WLAN card myself. ;)

temp00876 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.