Backup Laptop Power for Power Outages

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Drew1, Apr 24, 2019.

1. Drew1

Drew1 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Hey all i posted this in the dell xps 15 9550 thread but i believe it should be posted here since its in the hardware section? If not, mod can move my thread to where its the correct place. But i see this subforum talking about volts so i think this is the correct one.

Where im located, we get power outages quite a bit. We had 2 in the last week... one was about 30 minutes... the other was over an hour. Previously we would get it for either a few minutes or few hours and sometimes all the way till the night so at least 5 plus hours. We even had it where the power was out close to 2 days. But this is more rare. Usually its not more than a few hours. My issue though is what I do online... i cannot afford this to happen because what I do daily... i need to make sure i have at least 8 hours of power at the minimum. Thus imagine what i do if power goes out for a long time and i cannot get power and my laptop turns off, Im losing money because of it unless i go and find the nearest power outlet. The thing is when we have power outages, its almost always when there is heavy rain. We get heavy rain quite a bit and when it gets very strong, the power does go out. This happens quite a bit during the afternoon and then power could go out till late at night. Now if im not doing my thing, no big issue. But i do my thing at least 5 days a week and cannot afford this to happen.

My xps 15 9550 laptop gets me 1.5 hours of battery at lowest battery setting and 25 percent brightness. What i do on my laptop... it is intensive and uses lot of power. I also got a dell powerbank 7015L and tested it. I would let my laptop battery go to 5%, then connect it to powerbank. I notice that it would take around 1h 45m to charge it before the powerbank power goes out. It also only charges to 73% max or so and cannot fully charge my laptop to even 100%. Someone else told me he uses the same powerbank or similar one for an inspiron laptop and told me he could charge it multiple times to 100% etc. But he also says he has it charged all day to it and has no issue. So i assume its because his computer is not that powerful and quad core since it can last so long. So when i use laptop on battery for 1h 30m, i connect to powerbank. Let say it charges for 1h45m. Now im on the battery and say i get about 1hr on it before power goes out. So with my laptop battery... powerbank... and battery again after the powerbank charge... i say i get about 3h45m to 4h30m that i could use my laptop for the moment i do not have power. I would say its more on the lower end because i tested this while doing my thing... but not running as much programs intensively.

I know if i get another dell powerbank, that would give me another 2h30m to 3h. That is good. However that would only be 6h15m to about 7h30m though. Again its more of the lower end. Now if i get 2 more power banks, then i would have 8h45m to 10h or so which would be ideal. It cost about 125 usd for each of these powerbanks. The other thing is im not in the US at the moment so would be harder to get it.

2. Drew1

Drew1 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I read about UPS. Now i read its for desktop and monitor and for making sure you save your information. Now what if i were to get one for my laptop? I read there are 500VA, 1000VA and 1500VA. I see there are even higher than that. Now could i get a UPS with the sole purpose of it be using it for my laptop while im doing my thing? Let say i get a 1000VA one. How many hours would i get out of it? Does it depend on my laptop battery? I read it depends on how many watts you draw per hour on your laptop. Well i will say my laptop when i use it intensively does use power. So is there a way to estimate this? I normally use my laptop connected with 2 external monitors when im doing my thing. Obviously when power outage happens, im only on my laptop screen so no big deal. So if i get one... does it need to be connected 24/7? Could i just charge it fully then unplug it. Then whenever power outage happens, i connect to it? Or it does not work that way?

Also how are the electricity costs? I read it increase your bill a lot? So only if you have it 24/7 connected? What if i don't have it connected. Then the only time i connect it to power is when i used it up after a power outage and it needs recharge? Or is that not good idea because it damages or wears it out? Because since im not using a desktop... i don't need to connect it all the time right? I also dont want my electric bill to be so high because its connected all the time. Thus my powerbank... i only connect it to power when i need a recharge. Then i leave it there in case i need to use it.

So should i get a UPS? Is that ideal or the ideal would be get another powerbank or 2 powerbank? Of course this is harder because im out of the US now. If i use a UPS, ideal way to do it? I already have a powerbank. So i assume battery goes out... use my laptop on battery for 1h30m. Then connect to the UPS and use it while its charging and then do my usual thing? And keep it connected even when my battery is 100% as oppose to unplugging it and using it on battery for another 1h30m before plugging it back in? Does either of these 2 ways work out the same in terms of power?

So assuming i have it connected always... then i notice my laptop battery shows not charging anymore which means UPS ran out. Then i use my laptop on battery for 1h30m before connecting my dell powerbank to it? Then use it while charging. Then once it runs out... use it on battery? Or have the laptop connected to the powerbank immediately after UPS runs out... and even though battery shows 100% on battery connect to powerbank anyway? Would the amount of battery you have still be the same on a powerbank if you connect to it while at 100% and use it as is as compared to using laptop on battery till 5% and connecting to it?

What would be your suggest if i want to have say at least 8 hour of backup? I have about 3h45m to 4h30m of it now. I mean what UPS would give me like 5 hours? Are there any that would give me even more than that?

3. alexhawker

alexhawker Spent Gladiator

Reputations:
    Get a generator?

jeremyshaw likes this.
  4. Drew1

Drew1 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I googled that. But isn't that a bit overboard? Also i checked online and those are pretty expensive. But not only that... i want to have it inside my apartment always. I also do not have car or anything like that etc.

I mean with say 2 more dell powerbanks... that would be 2h30m to 3h each so that is pretty good. But its hard for me to get this because im not in the US now.

Now with the UPS, is what im curious about. In terms of price wise... are the powerbanks better because it doesn't use much electricity like UPS? One powerbank cost about $125. And obviously no elecricity is used unless i charge it.. which barely uses much power. A UPS i read is much different.

5. AlexusR

AlexusR Guest

Reputations:
    UPS is NOT meant for any usage other than letting your PC or server to stay up during momentary power loss or to allow them to gracefully shut down if there is a long power outage (more than few minutes) or give enough time for emergency generator to start (usually takes 15s for a standby generator). Anything else like letting its batteries drain completely will just needlessly shorten the lifespan of those batteries.

Like the person above said - get a generator. This is the only right way to keep your stuff powered during long power outages lasting several hours. It doesn't have to be big - there are portable generators such as the ones made by Honda which can output 1000-2000w and are easy to carry and maintain. Even if you don't have a car you can buy gasoline and store it in a fuel can. Plus if anything bad will happen like zombie epidemic or WW3 - you can always syphon fuel out of abandoned cars on the street ;-)

Alternatively you can get a large solar panel with an inverter, it doesn't need fuel but will be pretty useless during the night ;-)

6. Drew1

Drew1 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    @AlexusR

Well if a UPS is not meant for this, then why do they have so many where some are 500va, others 1000va and others are 1500va? I read some give 5 minutes, others 10 minutes and some even as much as 30 minutes? Because if you are in your home when this happens, well you don't need that many minutes to save your work or whatnot right? Why would ppl pay so much for the expensive ones with the 1500 VA for example compared to the 500VA? Because aren't all those devices already connected to the UPS in the first place and thus 24/7 or not?

When you say letting batteries drain completely... are you talking about me letting my laptop battery drain to like 5% before i connect the dell powerbank i have? So that is not the right way to do it? So if a power outage happens, just immediately connect my laptop to the powerbank? Thus even though my battery shows 100 percent on laptop battery, connect to dell powerbank anyway? Then use it? Then once you see its no longer charging...then you know the powerbank is out of power right? So that way... would get me around the same time as compared to me doing it where ... power outage... go on laptop battery for 1.5 hours... till it hit close to 5%... connect powerbank to it and use it at same time... takes 1h45m to charge before it runs out... say i have 73% left... then use it on battery as is? Either way i do it, i get same time? But the 1st method is bad if i let my battery drop to 5%?

Can you have these generators inside your apartment though? I read online those are not meant to be inside but its also dangerous as well. Is that true? I dont have a garage. Im in a tiny studio apartment in the 2nd floor in a building. Im located where its pretty hot throughout the year but we get rain quite a bit and then power outages frequently.

So the best option would probably be have a few of these dell powerbanks then right? Since that would cost about $125 each and you dont have to worry about anything else?

So the UPS is an absolute no then? So there aren't ppl that use a UPS for this purpose?

7. AlexusR

AlexusR Guest

Reputations:
    If you're in a tiny apartment - I think it would be better to just have a very large powerbank. Or maybe a battery with inverter, not a UPS but something like:
    https://www.goalzero.com/shop/portable-power/
    I did not personally use these so you should research to see how reliable and long-lasting this is.

8. Drew1

Drew1 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    HI there. But the inverter inside the apartment is safe? Again, i do not much about this but i read and others say a generator should never be inside.

9. KLF

KLF NBR Super Modernator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    How do you get online?

xDsl, wwan, neighbours Wi-Fi?

No amount of battery backup helps when whatever your internet runs on, is out of power.

10. Jarhead

Jarhead 恋の♡アカサタナ

Reputations:
    A UPS is meant to safely shut down your computer (any other devices connected to it) gracefully in the event of a power outage, not to run the stuff off of battery until it drains dry. There are different types of UPS because they're meant for different things; higher wattage UPSes / bigger battery UPSes are meant for more power hungry devices (to give you enough time to shut them down).

You're better off with getting a replacement battery for your laptop, using a power bank, getting a generator (outside, not inside), or lobbying your local politicians to fix your local power problems.