Back to a desktop

Discussion in 'Desktop Hardware' started by saturnotaku, Feb 12, 2019.

1. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    For the first time in nearly a decade, I have myself an actual desktop PC. I've always loved small-form-factor machines, and when this one came up on reddit for a very aggressive price, I had to pick it up. It's running an AMD Ryzen 5 2600 on an Asus ROG Strix B450-I Gaming motherboard, 16 GB G.Skill DDR4-3200 RAM (with RGB lighting because we must RGB all the things), EVGA GeForce RTX 2060 XC Ultra, Noctua NH-L9 AM4 CPU cooler, Noctua 92mm NF-A9 case fan, and Corsair SF600 Platinum PSU. The case is a Geeek A50, which got a bit damaged in shipping. A replacement is on the way so I can swap out the broken parts.

It took a good long while to get the fans tuned, but I think I found a good balance between noise and thermals. Unfortunately, the GPU suffers from a bit of coil whine when under a gaming load. It's not really noticeable with headphones on, so I'm only going to try a single swap. If the new one isn't any better, I'll keep the existing card.

saturnotaku_SFF.jpg

Papusan, Ashtrix, Primes and 6 others like this.
  2. jclausius

jclausius Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    When your replacement comes in, do you mind posting some pics of the internals? I'd love to see how things are laid out inside the case in comparison to my Cougar QBX case.

3. ALLurGroceries

ALLurGroceries   Super Moderator

Reputations:
    That's a cool looking case. I've been eyeing a Ryzen system for over a year now, but can't justify the upgrade yet. I'd spent a couple of years with only a laptop because I was bouncing around the country all the time. It's always refreshing to get back to your desktop, no matter how nice a laptop you're rocking.

Convel likes this.