AzureWave AW-CB160H: 3x3:3 Wireless-AC in a non-Apple laptop

Discussion in 'Networking and Wireless' started by tninety, Jun 26, 2015.

1. Aivxtla

Aivxtla Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Yes you can leave out a connector and will just act as a regular 2 antenna 2x2 card without issues.

Some general info, hopefully I'm not too confusing:

Each connection for an antenna is for a single stream. 2x2 (2 in x 2 out) cards generally only have 2 connectors. 3x3 cards like your new one will have 3, it's just a rebranded Broadcom card.

There are some weird ones like 2x3, 3x2 where you have 3 antennas but less active streams in one direction either uplink or downlink. A great example is the 2nd gen or 3rd gen Chromecast which is a MiSo WiFi device 2x1, 2 physical antennas but only 1 upstream connection. Its upstream switches to the best antenna depending on positioning for upstream. Also 1x1 cards like Intel's 3165 and other have 2 connectors as the single up and down streams can switch between either antenna for optimal connectivity. So basically the extra antenna is still useful for antenna diversity.

Another great example of less streams and more antennas is the Linksys WRT1900AC series routers. They are 3x3 units but have 4 antennas basically any antenna can be used but only 3 used at any time. This allows the 3 streams to optimally use any combination antennas to better connect to clients at various angles.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2019
  2. signo3d

signo3d Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks Aivxtla that makes sense now.
    Another silly question: my router TP Link TD-W9977 is not AC compatible.
    Is there any correlation between the central antenna and AC technology or are two separate things altogether?
    I rephrase it. should I buy an AC router in the near future, should i also find a way to connect this central antenna or the AC "mode" is built in the router regardless of the number of antennas?
    Makes sense lol?
    thanks

3. signo3d

Reputations:
    Ended up buying the AzureWave AW-CB160H.
    Hopefully it wont take to long for it to arrive.

Now, since my asus laptop has only got two antennas and I am thinking of leaving the 3rd one disconnected....which of the three connectors should I use?
    Does it make a difference? Is each connector responsible for something different?
    Thanks

4. Aivxtla

Reputations:
    Connect the white and black marked ones and leave the middle one open. It shouldn’t make a huge difference if you mix up the white and black though.

5. signo3d

Reputations:
    So the AW-CB160H has finally arrived today . Few minutes for the installation and then finally wifi again!

Seems pretty damn stable for now which is really good. using some asus wifi linked in this thread.

The only issue I have is, Bluetooth not detected. Now, as per my post above, in my Asus UX32VD I only have two antenna.
    I have connected them to the external mhf4 connectors, leaving the middle one to get dusty.
    Is this the reason why bt is not working? Is the middle "channel" responsible for bt as well?

Thanks

6. signo3d

Reputations:
    Ehi guys, any advice on my bluetooth that is still not working as per above?
    is this central antenna responsible for it??

7. Aivxtla

Reputations:
    Could be the middle connection doubling as Bluetooth/WiFi combo. Then try just the first and middle connectors and see if it solves the issue.

Other than that make sure there’s no exclamation mark in Device Manager, in which case you’d need to hunt for drivers.

8. signo3d

Reputations:
    No exclamation mark, drivers side it's all looking good.

I will try and swap those antennas thanks.
    It seems impossible that I can't find any details RE what each antenna/channel is responsible for..

9. Starlight5

Starlight5 Don't call me Chris, my name is Elvis

Reputations:
    If Bluetooth portion of the card is indeed not detected, Cover pin 51 on the card itself with electrical tape, should work.

10. signo3d

Reputations:
    Thanks man. This weekend ill open the laptop again.
    You are saying to leave the antennas as they are and then cover it? Would would it do?

Starlight5 likes this.