AzureWave AW-CB160H: 3x3:3 Wireless-AC in a non-Apple laptop

Discussion in 'Networking and Wireless' started by tninety, Jun 26, 2015.

1. downloads

downloads Super Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    It's for Wi-Fi. Without the third antenna it's gonna be a two spatial stream card like an Intel 7260.

pitz likes this.
  2. MKazmer

MKazmer Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Has anyone tried this upgrade in either the Clevo P150EM or P150SM? I have one of the older HM models as well as a newer SM-A and I'm planning to do the upgrade, I just want to figure out the best option for making it happen. There are U.FL to MHF4 adapters that I think I'm going to try first. I already have 3 antennas, so that makes it a little easier. I just wish it had MHF4 connectors.

Alternatively, I'm curious if it's possible to desolder the MHF4's on the WiFi card and swap them out with U.FL connectors. It wouldn't be too difficult as long as the footprints match close enough.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2016
  3. MKazmer

MKazmer Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    To OP: Which Driver did you use? Where can I find it?

I got the card, and popped it in with the adapters that came with it and it works out-of-box with Ubuntu and OSX 10.11.6 on my hackintosh, but I'm having a tough time locating drivers for windows 10. I'm about to try the AW-CB161H driver with it.

4. RoryH

RoryH Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi. I came across this review (http://www.hardware-boom.com/review-motherboard-asus-rampage-v-extreme-extremism-radicals/) of the Asus Rampage V Extreme Motherboard which state's this:

"Wireless card is made on the basis of the module Broadcom BCM94360HMB (badged AzureWave AW-CB160H) for Mini PCIe slot in a metal housing with connectors for external antennas. Three spatial streams supported IEEE 802.11ac aggregate bandwidth with 1300 Mbit / s, as well as Bluetooth 4.0."

That is the same card. So I headed over to Asus driver support page and I found this Beta driver for Win10 64bit: http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mi...23_5.zip?_ga=1.23577978.1524222716.1478402451

You can check the full driver page here: http://www.asus.com/uk/Motherboards/RAMPAGE_V_EXTREMEU31/HelpDesk_Download/

Let me know if this works! I also ordered one from AliExpress, waiting on it to arrive.

5. RoryH

Reputations:
    Actually, taking a look at Asus Rampage V Edition 10, I can see it is also using the AW-CB160H, and on the Asus support page they have a newer driver, Wi-Fi Driver V7.35.317.3 for Windows 10 64bit.

Direct Link: http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mi...173.zip?_ga=1.261096397.1524222716.1478402451
    Support Page: http://www.asus.com/uk/Motherboards/ROG-RAMPAGE-V-EDITION-10/HelpDesk_Download/

Hardware Info: https://nl.hardware.info/reviews/68...rt-jubileum-asus-rampage-v-edition-10-vervolg

6. RoryH

Reputations:
    I can definitely confirm that even on my AW-CE123H which is AC 2x2 stream (max 867 mbps), the latest 7.35.317.3 driver has given me a significant boost in WiFi speed! Here are results from yesterdays speed test after I purchased a new TP Link C3150 router to make the most of my 1 gig internet connection:

This was the highest I could reach after many tests and averages.

[​IMG]

and here is after the driver update

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I should be able to hit 930+ over WiFi when the 3x3 AW-CB160H arrives!

Psychowolff likes this.
  7. lentmain

lentmain Newbie

Reputations:
    I'm still looking for the drivers for AW-CB160H ac wifi/bt chip... Where did you get your drivers... Can I download some from you..????? Please...????
    lentmain

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 20, 2017
  8. t456

t456 1977-09-05, 12:56:00 UTC Moderator

Reputations:
    See the driver page for the Asus Z97-Deluxe motherboard. It has drivers for all Windows versions.

Something else; can anyone see networks on channel 12, 13 or 14 with this card? I've set location to 'Japan' already, but that made no difference, so it looks like it is simply incompatible with non-US bands. Had to resort to switching all our access points to channel 9, but I'd prefer one of the non-US bands since hardly anyone in the neighbourhood broadcasts on those.

9. triturbo

triturbo Long live 16:10 and MXM-B

Reputations:
  10. signo3d

signo3d Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi guys, reviving an old thread.

I have a 7yo ux32vd with unfortunately a faulty Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6235 wifi card.
    Looking for a replacement I came across this1AzureWave AW-CB160H 3x3:3 Wireless-AC, apparently one of the few with MHF4 connectors.

Now, in regards to the 3rd central antenna, quoting downloads....

...I can literally leave it out and have the same performance as the intel 6235 correct?
    Do cards with two antennas but a 3 spatial stream even exist or is it just physically impossible (like one antenna > one stream only)?

is there anything else newer that you guys would recommend?

Regards!