AX or just go Ethernet?

Discussion in 'Networking and Wireless' started by TheReciever, Oct 29, 2019.

1. TheReciever

TheReciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    Im assuming I will need it, but my only other router is a USB powered Wireless-N 150 router, not a good baseline tester.

2. TheReciever

Reputations:
  3. Aivxtla

Aivxtla Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Yeah that (AC1900P) is pretty much a newer revision of the AC68U, just with a faster clocked version of the ARM Cortex A9 CPU, I think 1.4 GHz vs 1 GHz and 800 MHz on older AC68U versions, everything else is the same so it’s good.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2019
  4. TheReciever

Reputations:
    I just read some reviews and it looks rather poor? I need more throughput, thinking I might just settle for it and use ethernet as well, the machines are all within a meter of each other.

5. Mastermind5200

Mastermind5200 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Ethernet definitely. Or, if thats not possible. get a powerline ethernet, new router, etc

6. TheReciever

Reputations:
    Not getting powerline, thats been established. Already have a router that functions fine for the home, this is for my personal room where all the devices are utilized.

I grabbed an RT-AC1900 for 90 USD off of Amazon, will attempt to use wireless functions first if that doesnt work I may just return it for a simple network switch or simply just sell the AW 13 R3 and just deal with not having a secondary machine.

7. TheReciever

Reputations:
    Update.

The RT-AC68P is not capable of wirelessly bridging while maintaining actual routing capabilities.

Something I was able to do on a 25 USD USB WirelessN300 Router.

Back to amazon it goes I guess.

8. Aivxtla

Aivxtla Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I'm not sure what your trying to do, if using the AC68 as the primary you don't need to do anything on it. If using it as a secondary to repeat a wireless signal just put it in repeater mode, routing would be handled by the primary device.

RMerlin firmware add some extra functionality so take a look at that. Or try Tomato or DDWRT firmware on it for more fine tuning functionality that may have been available on your previous unit.

Here's a DD-WRT simulation for an older sample single band router, look at the wireless settings, with a dual band obviously it will show one more radio. You get options like Repeater Bridge, Client Bridge, in addition to normal Repeater mode etc.
    http://www.informatione.gmxhome.de/DDWRT/Standard/V24BetaVPN/index.html

You definitely won't be getting any extra options on stock firmware with Netgear, D-Link or Linksys, especially with newer routers where less options are available in UI, as things are moving more towards "simplicity". I know Netgear for one doesn't have repeater mode in most of their newer models. The R7000/R8000 had it.

Also FYI, I forgot to mention earlier, repeating a signal halves available bandwidth as the same radio both receives and relays the signal, in your case it shouldn't be a big deal though.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2019
  9. Mastermind5200

Mastermind5200 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    You really need to clean up the OP, or try and state what you're doing in a way that actually makes sense.

From what I'm understanding, you want to stream games to the desktop on the exercise bike through wifi?
    But your router is too slow?
    And you're wondering if you should get a new router?
    This is correct, right?

Assuming you can't use ethernet, or powerline for some odd reason, then you could create a hotspot off your 17 R1 or whatever machine you're using to host, and connect the desktop to that.

10. TheReciever

Reputations:
    I am not trying to allow others to gain access to my personal network, the main network is used by the rest of the family.

So, as I had done before, I want to merely use the router to bridge the networks for the purpose of getting internet access, but retaining the routing capability on my own router. I know any changes I made would only work on my local WLAN, and that is fine, if its gaming or anything that needs outside network i.e. WAN, I can handle that through the home network.

When I set up this router in Repeater or bridge or anything besides router, it loses everything beyond basic options. Merlin does not resolve that either (already tried)

I reflashed the latest from Asus, same thing. So no actual functions seems to be added.

House uses the C50, I wanted a router to bridge wirelessly so I could retain my own WLAN in my office or local streaming and steam streaming.

Of which when in Repeater mode, works wonders. Steam streaming was perfect, and Plex streaming obnoxiously high bit rate media was great as well.

Really not sure how to clean that up. I want a router for my personal room, to be bridged wireless while retaining its own WLAN (not mesh) and retaining the advanced functions. Ive done it before but I guess that function is only for travel routers.

Home router is on the other side of the house, packet loss becomes an issue with heavier loads.